Plastic fantastic - need your advice - please

crls_santino

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
i have started correcting this portrait and got some problem with skin colour, texture, eyes texture, you can see original one and corrected one. i feel it is not natural, what setting do you recommend?
many thanks for your tips

Attachments

• DSC_1882.jpg
    DSC_1882.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC_1882-Edit.jpg
    DSC_1882-Edit.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC_1882-Edit1.jpg
    DSC_1882-Edit1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 165
The one on the right look best to me a nice colour to the face, the other two one is underexposed and the other overexposed.

John.

use adjustments or curves to bring the levels where you want them, create a layer mask, invert it, then paint in the local corrections you want to fix. You can try changing the filter to something like soft light to get the details back, then just adjust opacity till you get it right. can also use a bit of gausian in the layer to help with blending.

on the edit1 i used 2 layers - gaussian blur where i removed blemishes and scratches, second layer high pass filter to get back texture, after all i am not happy with results - too shinny like a plastic doll, other problem is skin colour - my screen display different than i can see on the iphone, i could post a raw file if someone show me a quick example how to finish that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i need also your advice which one to choose for further process Gosia i Valdi maybe 5-10 photos:)

Next time, shoot a grey card in the model's hands, then take the desired photos. When processing, you can use the grey card shot to set white balance and brightness, either at the time you shoot, or when processing the raw file. You might as well do it at the start of the shoot, you will get best results.

Are you processing on a calibrated monitor? If you're not, there's no point in moving on.

@CameraClicker i have used grey card and mostly pictures i have sync with it, @tirediron probably you are right - i need professional monitor, but the other hand when i do a print i am getting almost what i ve got on the screen after simply software calibrate, in that case what do you recommend up to £1000? eizo cx270?

almost finished,
what do you think?

Attachments

• DSC_1882-Edit1.jpg
    DSC_1882-Edit1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 142
Whatever you are doing it looks really overdone. The skin looks like textured plastic. Almost like a black and white plastic orange peel.

There's a couple things going on that really stand out. Keep in mind I'm nowhere near a pro at this, but this is what I have learned. First, your model doesn't have the smoothest skin to begin with, and she is not wearing much if any makeup. Second, the lighting isn't the most flattering for the beauty type look you're trying to go for.

You would need to be very skilled/experienced to pull off something realistic with the image you have. I would have her put on some foundation or smoothing makeup and reshoot with a different light setup. More lights, more diffused, reflector under her, etc... All these things serve to soften the lighting and fill the shadows in the texture of her skin. Tons of tutorials on youtube about this. Search for Joel Grimes. That will give you a better image to work with that will be a lot easier to retouch without looking fake.

thank you for your comment i very happy about it.
it was inspired by angelina jolie picture on VisualizeUs what i am practicing and as you can see topic i have seen a problem and asked about advice what I could do more with this picture, next one will be better i hope ;)

Most reactions

Back