Plastic Lens mount on Canon EF lenses?

soylentgreen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone heard of a plastic mount being used on a Canon lens? A co-worker of mine was browsing on the good-old web for a new camera deal and found a site I never heard of that offered a deal too good to be true. Something like $950 for a Canon 30D with the EF-S 17-85 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM lens kit. I informed her it had to be a scam since B&H and other more reputable sites had it at around $1400. She called up to order the kit anyway (bad idea) but informed that this kit had the plastic lens mount. She will have to "upgrade" to the metal mount if she wants. She did not place the order ( thank goodness). I only bring this up as this is not the first I heard of this plastic mounting though. I know Sigma or Tamron have metal coated plastic mounts on some of their lenses, but never heard of a Canon lens using it. Especially any of there newer ones.

The 28-90 kit that comes with a Rebel k2 is plastic. I would know since i dropped it while mounted to my XT and it broke....... luckily the metal mount of the xt was fine but bye bye plastic kit.

There are several on line stores based out of New York City that are running scams in my opinion. They advertise crazy low prices. When you order they try to sell you the rest of the stuff that would have come with it had you bought it from a reputable company.

Be careful. Check them out. Remember, if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Canon EF 50 1:1.8 MK II is plastic mount
Canon EF-S 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 MK II is plastic mount. Both my lenses have a plastic mount. It's no big deal, it attatches to the camera without wiggling. Unless you are tough on your camera you don't need a metal mount. I did mount a metal mount lens to my camera once, didn't attach any smoother or anything, just looked nicer.

As stated above, there are some lenses that have a plastic mount, but there are not plastic or metal mounts as options to the same lens.

The "deal" is a scam.

There are several on line stores based out of New York City that are running scams in my opinion. They advertise crazy low prices. When you order they try to sell you the rest of the stuff that would have come with it had you bought it from a reputable company.

Putting asside the "you get what you pay for" saying for a moment, are any of the Canon professional "L" EF lenses actually made with plastic mounts (the part that connects the lens to the camera body)?

Gery Market / Imports or otherwise? Any?

I am trying to help out a friend of mine to get one of these and I want him to get the best price, but most of the shops out of New York with which I have spoken to who advertised very cheap (e.g. $699) prices refused to give me the model numbers of the "plastic" mount versions and quickly quoted prices greater than B&H for the "metal" versions. Same story with many in the $900 range.

I didn't ask about lens hoods etc, but I read somewhere that all L's are supposed to come with hoods, can anyone verify that claim? I have read that some of these shops split the stuff your supposed to get and sell the components individually.

One other "trick" that I have seen is that one company seems to be behind several (e.g 3+) websites all quoting different prices (within a $200 range). I only figured this out because the same voice on the automated telephone menu system said that they (3+ stores) were closed for the Easter holiday.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-John

As stated above, there are some lenses that have a plastic mount, but there are not plastic or metal mounts as options to the same lens.

The "deal" is a scam.

Have any of you ever bought a lens off the internet from one of those new york shops and received non-genuine goods?

No 'L' series lenses have plastic mounts.
Only the low priced lenses have them to keep the price down.
As said above no lens made has a choice of Plastic or metal mount.

Be careful. Check them out. Remember, if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't.

http://search.newyork.bbb.org/reports.aspx?pid=44&page=1&id=68047

That may be a good lot of them right there.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Putting asside the "you get what you pay for" saying for a moment, are any of the Canon professional "L" EF lenses actually made with plastic mounts (the part that connects the lens to the camera body)?

Gery Market / Imports or otherwise? Any?

I am trying to help out a friend of mine to get one of these and I want him to get the best price, but most of the shops out of New York with which I have spoken to who advertised very cheap (e.g. $699) prices refused to give me the model numbers of the "plastic" mount versions and quickly quoted prices greater than B&H for the "metal" versions. Same story with many in the $900 range.

I didn't ask about lens hoods etc, but I read somewhere that all L's are supposed to come with hoods, can anyone verify that claim? I have read that some of these shops split the stuff your supposed to get and sell the components individually.

One other "trick" that I have seen is that one company seems to be behind several (e.g 3+) websites all quoting different prices (within a $200 range). I only figured this out because the same voice on the automated telephone menu system said that they (3+ stores) were closed for the Easter holiday.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-John

Not all L lenses come with the hood. Super-telephotos and telephotos...Yes. Wide angle, I think not. I handled the 24mm and 35mm L's at the store and did not see the hood in the box. Check Canon's site though.

My 24mm L came with a hood... So did 135L, 70-200L, 100-400L, 24-105L... IIRC all L lenses come with their hoods. I had to purchase seperate hoods for my 85mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.4 which are not part of the "L" line.

Most reactions

Back