Played Out? (C&C)

Sherman Banks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are two photos I took this evening in the cold. It know it's an overused technique to shoot branches against the sky, but I liked the outcome of these as I took a different approach with them. The concept of the first was to look like cracks in the sky. I let the branches run the full length of the frame and tried to compose it to mimic a broken sheet of glass. The second followed the same concept except done with the reflection of water and has an asymmetrical composition. I tried to get a variety of widths on the lines and let them remain dark with little detail beyond the shape. I especially like the cold effect of the blues on both photos (and it was cold, my hands were freezing). Both shot in aperture priority with a short focal length.
DSC_0886.jpg

DSC_0904.jpg

Let me know what you think!

get what you are trying for I think in the second one that you almost have it just need to crop it off the right side a bit there just seems to be to many branches the first one there are to many trees e background

get what you are trying for I think in the second one that you almost have it just need to crop it off the right side a bit there just seems to be to many branches the first one there are to many trees e background

i have to agree. I see what you are going for. I like the second but the water is so smooth that you can't really tell what it is. it needs a ripple/wave to break it up and give some idea as to what the viewer is looking at.

if you had taken this from farther away with something of reference, I would love how smooth the water is. these are definitely a good attempt!

Until I read the posts, I didn't realize this was of water, it needs something to show that.

Most reactions

Back