Playing around

Amocholes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've never really done any portraiture and, I'm not really set up for it but I thought I would give it a shot.
Nikon D7000, 35mm 1:1.8 prime on a tripod, using a remote. 4 LED bulbs in an the ceiling fan and natural light from the windows facing north. Backdrop was a heavy wool blanket that I got when I was in the Navy almost 40 years ago.

You'll have to excuse the model. There was no one else available and he doesn't smile for pictures.

1. Traditional
47061086962_ee97bd38a5_b.jpg

2. Back to the 70's
32171417667_6273aec4fb_b.jpg

3. Western
32171419257_a951d8a654_b.jpg

4. Casual
32171423957_e9c1402684_b.jpg

try it again moving the BG much further away and only using window light. Try a longer lens if you can as well...

I agree with pushing the background out, the overhead LED's are pushing highlights where you don't want, but what I do want is that jacket in the second shot!

4 LED bulbs in an the ceiling fan and natural light from the windows facing north.
I agree with @Braineack. Use only window light. There is a "hot spot" on your forehead and shadows on your cheek from the ceiling light.

While you're at it; cut back on the exposure as well. Not that these shots are over-exposed, they're not, but I think for the type of portrait you are going for, some additional "darkness" for your off side and the background might be good.

Some good points noted above; that aside, an excellent start to your work in portraiture

(Ps... 1975 called, it would like its suit back! :lol: )

I'll have to try it on a sunnier day. There wasn't much light without the overheads. I've got an 18-55mm that might work better but I don't think I can get much longer in the space I've got.

Loving the Back to the 70s one.

I'll have to try it on a sunnier day.
As I wrote earlier; you don't have to make the exposure perfect. Sit close to the window, and let the light fall off naturally. If half of your face is exposed perfectly, and the opposite side is somewhat in shade, that is what I was referring to.

I'll have to try it on a sunnier day. There wasn't much light without the overheads. I've got an 18-55mm that might work better but I don't think I can get much longer in the space I've got.
The best conditions for using natural light and a window, in my opinion, is on an overcast day. Lighting is softer and easier to work with. Don't be afraid to boost your ISO higher if you must.

Try positioning yourself with the window like this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 3.55.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 3.55.54 PM.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 76
Thanks for the advice. It's a small house, so I'll have to see what I can do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back