playing on the rocks yesterday

pilgrim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A buddy and I headed out to a beach to watch the surf crash and climb some rocks, I was more into the climbing and exploring but I did snap some pics, here's a few of them.

Does the natural lensflare ruin it for you?
444012.JPG

444011.JPG

Do you think this picture suffers from his left hand being outa the shot?
444009.JPG

444008.JPG

I gave my camera to emmer(the buddy) to take a pic of me, he throws it in a auto setting and snapped this... I converted it to b.w and played around with the levels. It ended up being my favourite picture of the bunch. :wink:
444000.JPG

troy

I really like the second one for some reason... I just wish the left wasn't so washed out. They all look like they'd be used in one of those inspirational posters. Very nice though.

Do you think this picture suffers from his left hand being outa the shot?
That's my favorite. I like it just the way it is.

Troy, could you give us details and mechanics of this particular shot.
What camera?
What Lense?
Exposure settings?
Photoshopped?

Rebel

hi troy,
excellent array of pics.. just some quick notes.

# 1. looks nice, but i am not a fan of the sun flare, though some folks love 'em .

# 3 . the left hand being out of the picture i think is fine, just wish you were looking up.

#4. I like this one, i just wish the top of spray was captured .

#5 . My favourite as well, that shot looks good, bw here works quite well there.

good work pilgrim, i like the climbing shot too and you have some cool ideas here. cheers for sharing those :)

Thanks alot guys :D .

Im using a canon A60. Pretty basic, it has all manual settings though so I have been able to learn on it. As for people asking what exposure I was using, Im wondering.. do you guys just have excellent memory? cause I honestly can't remember what my settings are :? . I can take some guess's as to what I was using, but that probally wouldn't help you to much :? . Do any of you guys write down what you had the camera set at? I was thinking of doing that to help me learn. :?: As for the photoshop comment, sadly almost all my pictures need to be tweaked a bit :( . Im wondering is this common? or just me... I will usually do the same to each picture, like a little unsharp mask, and a tweak or two on the curves.
Sorry for not being more informative, but I tried :wink:

Thanks again guy's

Troy

the third is my favourite by far and i think it looks better without the hand in shot... i might have been tempted to crop a tiny bit off the top so you can't see the horizon... :)

any chance of you posting a larger version of the third for a desktop? :wink: :D

pilgrim said:
Im wondering.. do you guys just have excellent memory?

Yes :wink:

The camera should be recording that info under the file properties of each JPG. Or with film carry a pocket note pads, helpful but a pain in the butt with 35mm.

Hey Pilgrim,
do you guys just have excellent memory? cause I honestly can't remember what my settings are . I can take some guess's as to what I was using, but that probally wouldn't help you to much . Do any of you guys write down what you had the camera set at?

I was assuming that all digicams record the camera settings for each shot.

I've had 3 digicams (still have two) in as many years and I've never had a perfect pic from any of them. I'm thinking that low contrast is the nature of digital.

Jeff Canes said:
pilgrim said:
Im wondering.. do you guys just have excellent memory?

Yes :wink:

The camera should be recording that info under the file properties of each JPG. Or with film carry a pocket note pads, helpful but a pain in the butt with 35mm.

hmm, I checked under the file's properties and It didn't seem to mention anything about the picture's details... either Im looking in completly the wrong spot :wink: , or my camera just doens't record the info for each picture.
Anyone know whats up? I think I mentioned it above, but if not, its a Canon A60.

here's a link incase it helps.
http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a70-60/

The windows explorer file property does not list the shooting info.
Canon’s ZoomBrowser or Digital Camera File Viewer Utility, also I know ACDsee 6 will.
That is if the camera records that info

Thanks for the info jeff, I've had the cam for a few months now and never got around to uploading the software that came withit, ill hafta check it out I guess.

Hey mark, do you prefer this shot?
448358.JPG

I only posted the other one because the splash was bigger, therefore cooler :roll:

I like #1, most of flares work well, think I would have cropped or cloned out the one at bottom center, I like the last shot more because splash is wider :thumbsup:

Most reactions

Back