Playing with Depth of Field

Tropicalmemories

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
New Fuji 23mm f1 4 lens bought second hand with the aim of using it for close-up portraits and general travel shots. So what subject can I use to test it on a Sunday morning?

Didn't even need to get of bed, and beats shooting a brick wall.

Nice control over DOF for a short focal length.

LRM_EXPORT_572307825182761_20190609_215504910.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_572374977606790_20190609_215612063.jpeg

One thing to be aware of is the tendency of a wide angle to distort features. In the first photo note how the hand appears larger then the arm/body. As a creative tool this can be used constructively, but would likely not be flattering with a close up portrait. Also with a shorter focal length there is less separation between the subject and the background.

One thing to be aware of is the tendency of a wide angle to distort features. In the first photo note how the hand appears larger then the arm/body. As a creative tool this can be used constructively, but would likely not be flattering with a close up portrait. Also with a shorter focal length there is less separation between the subject and the background.

Yes, good tips. Thank you.

My 'model' liked that the new lens made her legs look longer in some other shots, but not impressed that her feet looked big. :)

but not impressed that her feet looked big. :)

Wait till she sees what it does to her nose in a portrait. LOL

Ah yes :) - but she likes that effect. She has a small, cute Asian nose, and she was delighted that the 23 made her nose look bigger.

Uhhhhh?? I don't have a response for that. LOL

No, really!

She rates my lenses on how they make her look.

Her ideal is white skin, slim, modest curves, dainty eyes, large nose. Many local girls pay good money to have silicone injected into their noses, and they spend a fortune on skin whitening creams.

Conversely - my ideal is that gorgeous cappuccino toned skin, cute little nose, large eyes and nice curves. Fortunately for me that's exactly how she looks in real life, but she knows some lenses show her differently - and illusion is reality on social media.

So the Fuji 60mm with it's flattering 85mm equivalent focal length is out.

The 35mm (50mm) f 1.4 is better, but the excellent contrast and colors make her skin look too dark.

The 18-135 at the shorter end is great, as the poorer contrast lightens her skin, especially with a bit of + exposure comp.

The new 23 f1.4 got the thumbs up - longer legs, paler skin, big nose - perfect.

:)

I was watching a video a couple weeks ago on Facebook, of a Seattle area plastic surgeon, who mentioned that typically Asian rhinoplasty involves adding to the nose ,whereas Caucasian rhinoplasty is typically reducing the size of the nose.

One of the best uses for a wide-angle lens is to make legs and limbs look longer, and it involves careful positioning of the camera in relation to the subject's body.

Focal length And camera to subject distance are both important. The close the camera is, the larger subjects in the foreground are made to appear, in relation to the backgound. To make a 4 pound bas appear to be a 12-pounder, the photographer can easily use a 14mm lens and greatly DISTORT the "apparent size" of the fish...if the fisherman long-arms the fish, and hod it out, the fish may appear to be 19,20 pounds, because, well, it is wayyyyyy wider than the fisherman's shoulder width.

Using a lens of 135mm to 300mm makes the face look "flatter" and magnifies the size of the ears, in relation to the nose size.

Focal length And camera to subject distance are both important. The close the camera is, the larger subjects in the foreground are made to appear, in relation to the backgound. To make a 4 pound bas appear to be a 12-pounder, the photographer can easily use a 14mm lens and greatly DISTORT the "apparent size" of the fish...if the fisherman long-arms the fish, and hod it out, the fish may appear to be 19,20 pounds, because, well, it is wayyyyyy wider than the fisherman's shoulder width.

Using a lens of 135mm to 300mm makes the face look "flatter" and magnifies the size of the ears, in relation to the nose size.

Come on Derrel.. shot it with a LF and watch the proportions go WWWAAAYYYY out!

But yes I have heard of this with the big nose thing.
Genetics.. Its all genetics..

Or possibly Ancient Aliens!

This test shot from the day I bought the 23mm got the seal of approval from my 'model' for passing the long leg test.

I don't think it's extreme wide angle distortion though - as the 23mm on the Fuji is a 35 in full frame equivalent - so only slightly wide?

LRM_EXPORT_627465417818308_20190611_043832748.jpeg

Nose injections??? Now that's one we haven't seen in Cali, Colombia, probably world capitol of plastic surgery for women.

Most reactions

Back