jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey gang,

Here's a picture I'd like some feedback on. I'm trying to learn how to use Photoshop Elements (I'm actually using the freebie I downloaded from them at the moment), so last night I was playing with the color controls.

My primary concerns are the colors and levels and all that, but please feel free to make any other comments as well.

I can't relly remember too much about what I did because I don't really know what I did. I played around with the hue and saturation under the Master dropdown, then I went into the yellow (I believe) and adjusted that a little, and finally went into the Red and brought that up a wee bit.

Anyway, please tell me how to make it better or different or more fun or more interesting, etc.

Thanks as always...y'all are really great!

20050927223255_img_1752.jpg

ouch !!

fisrt of all you playd to much with the colors (look at the fish line handle and you will know what i'm talking about)
you horizont line is bend to the right
the photo is to "crowded"
and try to have onley one subject ... you have tree the ponton, the fishing lines and the bridge
ou and the boat is all so tilted th the right

i wanna see more sky. and i don't like the wooden plank, at least not saturated like this.

and if you're into downloading why don't you cross to the other side and download some photyoshop tutorials. join the dark side :D

tutorials?? I'm not sure I know what that is ;)

To get more sky, do you think that it might have been more interesting to get lower and have a sharper upward angle? That way I could get the rods AND more sky?

yes that would be interesting, also, try using a wider angle and getting real close to the base of the rods and you'll get a more dramatic look.

and tutorials are stuff (mainly videos but also books audio etc) which tells you exactly what you can do with photoshop and how.

OK, first off, I was only teasing about not knowing what tutorials were ;) But I appreciate the info.

Secondly, as I'm still new, let me ask. A wider angle would flatten things more and get more things in the frame, but being up close and pointing upwards would also skew the prospective dramatically, correct?

While my camera can accept some kind of adapter lens, it's basically an advanced point-and-shoot, so if I were to just keep the lens at the widest setting (as opposed to zooming in, which I did a bit), would that work better?

well fmpov that is a desired effect, the distortion caused by the wide-angle lens, because it creates a different perspective upon the fishing rods. also it is not necessary to have a very wide wide angle :D to create this effect, because straight rods we see every day, but from below and wide angle more rarely. and a wide angle does not flatten, on the contrary, it curves.

and normally the type of camera you probably use is a digital compact which should have its wide angle at around 38mm which is good because it isn't that much of a distortion but it's there.:D

and about the tutorials well there may be some people who actually don't know... :D i just like to be helpful :D

I appreciate your help :hail: I meant no offense by my comment, and I'm grateful that I found this forum!

As to focal lengths. I have a Canon PowerShot S2 IS. According to the specs web site, the focal length is 6.0 - 72.0mm f/2.7-3.5 (35mm film equivalent: 36-432mm). I assume that that is good?

Sadly, while you offer great advice, I don't know if I could ever recreate that shot. It was taken on a fishing boat that we went on 2 Friday's ago in New Jersey. I was up there for my sister's wedding and the groom and his boys went out deep sea fishing on Friday while the girls got their nails done.

yes, it's a great forum indeed, i'm just so sad i can't afford to spend more time on it, there are just so many things which need to be said.

your camera i have heard is really good and about the focal distance yeah it's cool. lower, just bit to around 26-28 would be perfect but 36 is also good.

the recreation of the shot isn't necessary to learn, the principle is. you understand what you can do in order to make your shot have more impact. but well that's a lot about your vision and no one can tell you actually how todo that. just give you small tips and tricks :D

I like my camera a lot, but I really want to move up to a DSLR. I just can't rationalize the cost yet since I'm still so new at it. that is actually why I went with the one I got...it's got more than mere point and shoot capability, but it's still a nice point and shoot...kind of like a camera with training wheels :)

You are right that the technique is what's important, and I will get out this weekend (except it's supposed to rain) and see what I can do.

the dslr or slr for the matter have a range of features which you will find are way better than the slr-style compact that you currently own. however, in my oppinion your digital camera is quite a good one and you should stick to it aleast until you'll find some moron who sais: that is in our oppinion a lame asss camera. please buy a beetter one before submitting pics. and then you'll buy a dslr :D

rain can be a great subject at night especially on asphalt (all the lights are reflected by the road) but maybe it's also good just like it is. i dunno, couldn't quite find a good way to shoot rain yet :D

eh, crap! you will soon notice there are two kinds of water related products: waterproof and weatherproof. so to shoot in the rain you need (at most) a plstic bag and a rubber band :D it's true, but unfortunatelly mostly for the slr user, other cameras might not be as easy to mod:D. however, short exposures to moisture and/or water don't really have that big an effect on the camera as long as you do it sensibly. i mean a few drops on the case are nothing but don't shoot in cats and dogs rain without any umbrella or w.e (whatever). and immediately after you take a few shots get it inside a warm pocket or its case but smth with a water-absorbing property, so the water will not pour into the camera but be absorbed by the cloth.

on the other hand i have had a friend who's lens had water in it after the moron took some photos of rain from rain :D with no protection whatsoever.

so my advice is if possible use some sort of cover from above (i.e umbrella, building, etc.) and don't really worry about a few stray drops, the camera'll dry off and nothing bad will happen. (i once got a drop of water inside of the lcd and nothing happened :lol:)

Most reactions

Back