Playing with mirroring

ok, this is what i'm saying, i DO consider it art, because thats exactly what it is. I just wish that it was un-manipulated. i guess what i'm saying is that when I see a truely great photo exactly as it looked when you were there, i like it more than something that was heavily edited to look great. (maybe like it would be more exciting to see someone fly on their own than to use an airplane?) I still really like the photo, and i dont have any problems with it, i was just giving my opinion . i just hate it when everyone makes something tiny into a big deal just because they believe THEIR opinion is more valid than mine.... its a good photo, nuff said

It seems I unwittingly sparked a little debate.

I was a little uneasy posting it in the first place as I thought some purists would have a few words about it.

I guess I'm just coming from a different frame of mind. For me the means justify the end. I guess I'm more into creating a image rather then a photograph. Before I press the shutter button I envision the work after post processing.

I feel that the post processing work is the more subjective, creative and artistic side of the whole process for me. I make the same amount if not more creative decision while post processing.

I think in the end what made me uneasy and would to many people is that if someone saw the image without any explanation or previous versions you could be "fooled" (I hope :) ) into thinking it's a real place. Where as surealist work is clearly "fake".

In the end I can sleep easy about it. As it is not anything fundamentally different than what every photographer does, it's just a matter of degree. I admit it's a big difference between a little color adjustment and a image where more than %50 is completely fake.

Glaston:
Thank you for the markups :)

Great!!

The pidgeon really makes it!

Also, there are two patches of similar white in the old dark line down the middle. ARHGHG That made no sense... i'll explain better.

In your area where the dark strip was down the centre of the photo, there is a lighter area in the top center of the frame which looks mirrored - sort of like a rectangular area.

ok... i'm not making sense - but hopefully you'll see it. Maybe if you just clone some other bricks to make it look less mirrored there.

phew... that was hard.

Great photo though! I love it completely!!

I like the photo a lot! Can I ask how you mirrored the image?
Open the image twice, select one of them, then go to image>rotate canvas>flip horizontally.
Then copy it and past it into a new layer on the other image.

Thanks Meysha and Unreal Tuner. I see what your talking about in the picture Meysha.

Unreal Tuner:
I do it the way glaston explained. One thing that was missed is that you have to increase the canvas size to make room for the mirrored layer.
I made a action for the whole process as I had to go back and forth to skew the original so everything would line up.

The hardest part by far was something nobody will probably notice. I had to change where the walkway ends up in relation to the door jamb.

While Ansel Adams never changed the physical reality in front of him like this, I think its in his spirit of "seeing the image" and capturing it so that its printed how you want it. Adams, while very technical in what he did, never tried to recreate the real tones in front of him. True, this is a step further than the idea of capturing false tones for manipulation in printing, but I think its worth noting to the guys that are uncomfortable with it not being "real".

I like the final product a lot.

I think it looks brilliant! It's really opened my eyes to different things you can do with an image that lacks a certain spark, instead of just deleting it!

Great job, I'd be proud to have this in my portfolio!

Most reactions

Back