Playing with Shutter Speed

bakstreet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yesterday, I tried to take a couple of pics with a 1-2 delayof a fountain. It was really bright out yesterday as it was early afternoon. I didn't get any of my pics to turn out because of how bright they were. I brought the A/V down to -2 but that didn't make any difference. What could I do next time to get those pics to turn out? Thanks for your help.

You want to close the aperture to allow less light to come in. You want a higher number to close the aperture.

Take a look into Neutral Density Filters. That is their purpose, to reduce the amount of light entering the lens under bright conditions.

You were on the right track with reducing your Av to -2. However, you can't reduce it enough in that setting you're using.

You will have to enter Manual Mode on your camera. And then manually set the aperture and the shutter speed. Keep your shutter speed as you had it set earlier, but then keep increasing your aperture number (ie: the f/8, f/16 ..) until your photo is 'properly' exposed as you want it.

If you get to your minimum aperture and it's still too bright, try changing your iso or making sure it's on 100 or 50 if your camera can do that.

If it's still too bright then, wait until the sun gets darker. Or shorten your shutter speed.

Hope that helps a bit.

Oh and if you don't have a manual mode on your camera, either try the Neutral Density filters - although they drive me crazy. Or just wait for the sun to die down a bit.

What Mindy said is right on.

You can also help limit the camera's sensitivity to the light by turning your ISO to the lowest setting...100 usually This will remove some noise as an added bonus.

If that doesn't work I believe they do have filter to block light for just this reason...allowing slower shutter speeds. I have not used this kind of filter before, just seen them for sale, so I do not know how good they work.

I usually shoot these kinds of shots in 100% manual mode my self setting both the Aperture and shutter speed to my liking. (control freak?) And play close attention to your light meter (It's your friend) ;)

Oops it looks like you all beat me to it LOL, Oh well looks like we are all on the same page at least. Neutral density filter, yes that's what it's called. Slipped my mind.

Good Luck!

If you decided to go the neutral density filter route and already had on a UV filter would you remove the UV and then put the ND on?

have a good one
3Eo

Well technically, you don't have to. Unless you've got a really wide angle lens - then you might get some vignetting.

But if you want to maintain maximum photo quality - use as little glass as possible, so yes take off the UV filter.

But if you want to maintain maximum photo quality - use as little glass as possible, so yes take off the UV filter.

gracias....

have a good one
3Eo

Most reactions

Back