Playing with the lights

Andie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My sweetie is going to go "flash blind". He has patiently been my guinea pig as I've been trying setting on my camera and working a little with some new lights I got. Came up with this shot while we were playing and I really liked it.

CoolGeno.jpg

A lot of good things here. The light/shadow (Key/Fill) ratio on his face is good. He looks pretty well exposed...maybe just a little dark. The background is lit up. The hair is well separated from the background.

A couple things that could use improvement (IMO). The sunglasses...I get that he didn't want to be flashed in the face 100 times. But specular reflections hurt the image. The background light has a somewhat sharp edge on the left side...this contrast distracts attention away from the subject. Ideally, the BG light should be softer. The wrinkles in the background are clearly visible. on the right side. Either smooth it out...or use a shallow DOF to throw the BG out of focus.

Thanks for the feedback! Any suggestions on getting the wrinkles out of the background? It was fresh out of the box that day :)

One thing you can do is to use some clamps to tighten it down at the bottom and the top and then you need more space between your subject and the backdrop as well as I would say 3 feet between the backrop light and the backdrop itself. That's what I do.

duplicate the layer, apply blur, gaussian blur, to whatever intensity you like then use the eraser tool and rub him out of the layer leaving the original underneath.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back