Please advise! Which lens to buy?

jkmk79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi

I own a Nikon D80 and I currently use a prime lens, Nikon 50mm f/1.4. I am going travelling in about a month to Singapore & Hong Kong so thinking about getting another lens. I have been wanting to buy Nikon DX VR 18-200mm F3.5-5.6G Zoom Lens but because of its cost, been saving up to get it but recently I've been also considering a wide angle lens, perhaps Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6. Other than the cost factor, which one do you think would be more useful during my overseas trip?

I enjoy doing landscape as well as people, portraits, that's why it is hard to decide which one to buy. I will definitely be buying both lenses eventually but I guess it will be matter of which one to buy first to take with me on the trip. I can't afford to buy two at the same time b/c of $$$!!

Can anyone enlighten me please? :confused:

Jules

18-200, it's too flexible.

The 18-200 would probably be the best choice. It doesn't do anything well but at least it does everything.

The 18-200 would probably be the best choice. It doesn't do anything well but at least it does everything.

:confused: hogwash [on the words in red].

It is a very sharp lens. It does do many things well, for what it is. Sure you can argue there are better specific lens out there, any prime 2.8, 1.8, 1.4 yeah blah blah blah... But you can;t beat this lens for a 1 hit wonder. I use mine when I am going somewhere and *just* want to take my camera and go have some fun, not 'the bag O gear' which to me is a nice little treat.

Let me put this in context. You are speaking on a forum where nearly every member owns one if not several primes, many members use f/2.8 gear, and some members if they weren't professionals I would say have far too much money.

In comparison to many all the discussed lenses on this forum except the kit lenses which many people in such discussions are replacing anyway, it is not sharp, it is not fast, as such it can't generate a low depth of field.

No you can't beat this lens for a 1 hit wonder and that is why I recommended it, but for all it does do it excels no where other than in its own flexibility. And if that wide range was not a buying criterion this would be the last lens I would recommend in it's price range.

I stand by my original statement. It's a jack of all trades and an expert in none, and you highlighted that you agree with this statement with the words: "for what it is"

Im only a noob to dslr photography so I dont have any advice to offer on which lens to get but, as I have just been to singapore last week, (went for 2 weeks from australia) the only advice I have is to get prices of your desired lenses so you have an idea of pricing, and look for them over there, there is no shortage of camera stores and the prices are better than I was quoted at home

Most reactions

Back