please critique - commercial work

metroshane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I went out and bought some white fabric for some background...as I wanted to practice some commercial shooting. A quick set up of a pair of shoes resulted in the pic below. My two major critisisms is that I need a hard surface to keep wrinkles out of the fabric and that I need a soft box or some type of diffused light.

please give me any tips or suggestiongs as this was merely for practice. I'm trying to produce a pic you'd see in a magazine ad.

shoes1.jpg

Heyas...

I'm no pro but this is the one thing I do see: the lighting.
It looks like the lighting is setup fine if you want no or minimal shadows, but this photo looks like it could benefit from a color gel, more diffusion, or perhaps ev copensation to dim the highlights a bit.

Something along those lines. But again, I'm no expert!

Very True about the lighting. I was just using overhead chandelier lighting...thanks.

the composition looks very nice ... u need more lighting ... u can get rid of the creases in photoshop ... but i can visualize this photo with the perfect lighting and it would be pretty good :D

i'm trying to build up my "fashion" portfolio now (looking for a few student fashion designers) ... and bright light is helpful ... im still learning as well ... trial and error is what it would take ... but lighting is key

I have to 2nd the light, looks like you used a flash - softer light with a 2nd strobe would do the trick. If you want to get rid of the creases, put the fabric on a hard floor.
composition: move the chair - the chrome between the legs is distracting.
learn to look for details - the chair shows up under the "toes"
other than that - practice, practice, practice...

shoes.jpg

Thanks for the replies...(I was hoping you'd respond Doxx). I'll admit my liability is definitely my patience. You were really right about paying attention to details.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back