please critique model with seamless white background

lollypop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It look some work but i think i managed to get the model in the foreground correctly exposed whilst obtaining my white back ground.

I used a nikon D70, two flash lights pointing at the white background, one flash light on the left of the model and a soft box to the right.

Any advice on the compostion the pose of the model, lighting etc would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks
510632952_8fc24c0c21.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/212/510632952_8fc24c0c21.jpg

First of all, you'll get more responses if you post the actual photo, rather than just the URL. To do this, click on the little "landscape picture" icon and paste the url into the window that pops up.

Now, as to the photo. The girl's pose and expression are good, but the photo looks underexposed, like your meter was fooled by the bright white background. Directing the flash at the background will do this. Try not pointing the flash directly at the white background. I would try bouncing it off some reflectors off to the side(s). I think that you should also use (or at least reposition) studio lighting to add some highlights and soft shadows to your subject, to give the photo more "pop" and "pizzazz" (those are very esoteric photography terms).:lol: That red hair could be pretty striking, but it's really dulled down in your photo due to the underexposure and lack of highlights.

Keep trying. I'm sure that you'll get there.

Thanks for the great advice the image was actually underexposed i adjusted this (too much!?) in photoshop heres the original

510722887_3bae0621f5.jpg

lollypopmodel.jpg

A little brightening works not too badly, but I would also change the background to a pale neutral colour.

skieur

The light one looked ok better than the original anyway but it is still under exposed.

I know nothing about model photography but I really like the pose, expression and composition. I agree about the underexposure though - as others have said perhaps a little more light on the face and not on the backdrop could work. I don't think it looks over processed in photoshop.

I hope you don't mind but I did an edit (I've never really attempted editing something like this before and I really liked this shot).

76780027vg1.jpg

Def. agree. The first photo was underexposed...now that we have that settled..I also think that this shot would have caught my eye more if I could see her full body. The pose leaves me wanting more. Headshots are really hard....Work with your lighting....at the studio we worked at we had a flash and a softbox and the images turned out amazing...so it can be done, just need to play with it more..

Perhaps partially due to the original underexposure, the skin colour is not quite even and correct either with a tendency to green in some areas.

skieur

Thank you julius it looks much better than mine! Although i have realised i need to practice my studio work a bit more :)

i also really like the photo too, the hair as said above should make this shot.

hope you dont mind but i raised the colour on the hair.

girl.jpg

i also really like the photo too, the hair as said above should make this shot.

hope you dont mind but i raised the colour on the hair.

looks good for the hair, but unfortunately her skin looks sunburnt now ;)

in blonde she looks very much like someone i know VERY well :p

and in greeen .. wenn *drool*

The model is beautiful. Her expression and the placement of her eyes on a diagonal axis is definitely a plus despite the no-no "football shoulders" pose.

Your flat lighting defeated the impact of the overall capture.

There's too much negative space on either side of your model. The composition is neither a head shot nor a bust shot. A really close head crop could probably save the composition. Try the head-shot crop and I bet you'll like it.

julius, your edit is a nice improvement. Improving the catch lights in her eyes is nice touch, too
Cheers
MJ

Most reactions

New Topics

Back