Please critique my photographs - newbie

rabbitluver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i'm a newbie photographer and am looking to improve my technique. Please provide some constructive criticism as to how I can improve my exposure/composition. I own a Nikon D5000 with a starter kit lens (Nikon DX, AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm lens, 1:3.5 - 5.6G)

Below are links to photos I would like constructive criticism on

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabbit-luvver/6564584329/

[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabbit-luvver/5849364295/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabbit-luvver/5849364295/

[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabbit-luvver/6104373535/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabbit-luvver/6104373535/

[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabbit-luvver/5752496061/in/photostream"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabbit-luvver/5752496061/in/photostream

T
h[/URL]a[/URL]n[/URL]k you!

I like #1.

#2 is your best shot of the bunch IMO. Good subject and composition.

#3 doesn't really do much for me. Not saying it's a bad shot, just overall not that interesting to me.

#4 is pretty good. If it were my photo, I would crop some of the right side out so that the cherry blossoms were not dead center.

Keep up the good work. As I said, #2 is the best of the bunch. Great shot.

If you post the actual photographs in the thread, you'll get more feedback. People on here (me included) aren't big fans of clicking links to see individual images, since it's much, much, easier to critique photos when they're on the same page.

On flickr just go to SHARE
click the BBCode
Copy paste what is in the box

If you post the actual photographs in the thread, you'll get more feedback. People on here (me included) aren't big fans of clicking links to see individual images, since it's much, much, easier to critique photos when they're on the same page.

Hi Natalie,

I'm new to the forum and i can't seem to attach images to the thread directly. I click on "images" icon in the message body to attach a picture but everytime I try to, i get a red exclaimation mark beside the attached image and it doesn't appear in the thread. Can you please advise me on how I can resolve this problem? I'm uploading jpegs that are no larger than 3MB. Thank you.

On #2, you describe it as plant life on a roof, but the image doesnt convey that. It looks like a weed that would grow in any gravel driveway.

If you thought about how you described the image while you were taking it, you would want to try to capture something that would clue the later viewer in, without having to say. So, what I am trying to say is, if you thought that weed was neat BECAUSE it was growing on the roof, the image fails. If you just liked the one plant in a sea of stones, then you have successfully shown us your vision.

On #2, you describe it as plant life on a roof, but the image doesnt convey that. It looks like a weed that would grow in any gravel driveway.

If you thought about how you described the image while you were taking it, you would want to try to capture something that would clue the later viewer in, without having to say. So, what I am trying to say is, if you thought that weed was neat BECAUSE it was growing on the roof, the image fails. If you just liked the one plant in a sea of stones, then you have successfully shown us your vision.

+1.
Also, regarding #2. The focus seems pretty good (but never, ever take MY word for that. My vision stinks and I don't EVER really know if something's slightly off focus, lol), and I do like the "lone plant in a sea of stones" notion, although the plant is not very interesting. Your composition is pretty good on this.

#1--The glare of the sun and several other hotspots kills this for me. Might have been better when the sun was a bit lower in the sky. Still, you shot it at an interesting perspective. Oh, and FWIW...your "morning glory" title may just be symbolic, but just in case you don't know, these are not morning glories. They are either hibiscus or Rose of Sharon. I can never quite tell the two apart.

#3 Not exactly the most riveting subject. Still, focus seems pretty good (why do I even SAY that? I don't know, lol). I like the composition; you not only placed the squirrel along the rule-of-thirds line, but he is looking "into" the photo. Colors seem nice and crisp, too.

#4 Not a fan of this. Not only are the cherry blossoms centered in the frame, they just don't "pop." The colors of the background and the cherry blossoms all just fade in together and all I really see is a big bunch of gray and pink. I would have focused in on the cherry blossoms closer and not placed them right in the center.

I really like photo #1. It's a very strong composition, and the lighting is excellent considering you were shooting right into the sun.

Photo #2 IMHO would be just that much stronger of a composition if you didn't have so much background. I found myself looking up there over and over again.

Photo #4 needs a stronger presentation of the Cherry Blossom. OregonTi3 hit it pretty much on the head.

Photo #3 is just a nice shot of a squirrel.

Thank you for the link! I now know how to attach photos :)

I really like photo #1. It's a very strong composition, and the lighting is excellent considering you were shooting right into the sun.

Photo #2 IMHO would be just that much stronger of a composition if you didn't have so much background. I found myself looking up there over and over again.

Photo #4 needs a stronger presentation of the Cherry Blossom. OregonTi3 hit it pretty much on the head.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How can I make the picture of the squirrel or any wildlife for that fact more interesting?

I wish I had a concrete answer for you, but I don't. I guess it's that over the years I've seen so many squirrel pictures, that it's just something that doesn't move me quite as easily as your other pictures. It's more me then your picture.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How can I make the picture of the squirrel or any wildlife for that fact more interesting?

It's not so much your picture, as technically it right there. It's just that over the years I've seen so many squirrel pictures, that it just harder for me to be moved by the picture, then the others. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

Most reactions

Back