Please critique

151Henry151

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Give me all you've got, be mean about it, I want to learn.

2670441030_0e2c61c749_b.jpg

2669619525_ee59e047a9_b.jpg

2670443422_facfe39efd_b.jpg

Taken with a canon powershot 550

C&C per req:

1. A good idea, but some issues with the execution. First is the uneven lighting; you have very bright (window?) areas between the leaves upper right, and much darker areas lower left. To get an image like this "right" you will often need to adjust the lighting and/or positioning. In this case I suspect sitting the plant on a plain, medium-dark background, in an area where the light was more equal on all sides would have helped greatly. Additionally, The focus doesn't work for me. You've picked a very difficult subject, particularily given the limitations of a P&S camera, however, I would suggest a reshoot and try and get the area in the middle where the left and righ-hand most leaves meet as the point of focus.

2. Again, this one has lighting issues with extremely bright highlights in the window; always try and avoid shooting 'into' a window. As well the DoF is shallow, but not quite shallow enough; there's more in focus than there should be, resulting in a somewhat distracting, and rather 'busy' image.

3. Not bad at all. I rather like this one. I would suggest dropping the brightness of the floor a little bit and doing a re-crop so that the slippers aren't quite centered.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

On the third picture if the light was diffused a bit more to would be better to me.

But I'm an amateur....so my opinion isn't worth much. :lol:;)

The 2nd picture:

Foreground is distracting. Photo is overexposed, but as mentioned above it is hard to properly expose a picture shooting at a subject in front of a window.

I thus far had not edited these pictures at all-they were as taken, no cropping or adjustment.

Thank you all for the helpful criticism. I didn't have the option to move the plants when I photographed them, but I tried to use the light from the window and tweak the settings on the camera to make something interesting happen with the focus. I listed the pictures in the order that I like them, with the first one having come out just as I hoped (though I think I prefer the way zandman has darkened it).

I'm hoping to learn to manipulate the light and the camera in such a manner as to avoid having to use the computer for editing.

I really appreciate the feedback you've given me, and I will continue to post photos here.

I thus far had not edited these pictures at all-they were as taken, no cropping or adjustment.

Thank you all for the helpful criticism. I didn't have the option to move the plants when I photographed them, but I tried to use the light from the window and tweak the settings on the camera to make something interesting happen with the focus. I listed the pictures in the order that I like them, with the first one having come out just as I hoped (though I think I prefer the way zandman has darkened it).

I'm hoping to learn to manipulate the light and the camera in such a manner as to avoid having to use the computer for editing.

I really appreciate the feedback you've given me, and I will continue to post photos here.

on my few experience,
digital camera - better to be underexpose
film camera - better to be overexpose

the shoes creep me out for some reason. Old looking things just give me the chills, some psychological connection I guess, an unconscious one.

on my few experience,
digital camera - better to be underexpose
film camera - better to be overexpose

Wrong. Under exposure in digital causes noise. In fact, if you're shooting raw and your meter is correct, you should be able to shoot 1/3 - 2/3 over exposed and bring the exposure down in the post processing which will recover some high lights that might have appear to have been blown (which really aren't, because once the data's gone, it's gone) and create an image with a greater impact than even with a properly exposed image.

Wrong. Under exposure in digital causes noise. In fact, if you're shooting raw and your meter is correct, you should be able to shoot 1/3 - 2/3 over exposed and bring the exposure down in the post processing which will recover some high lights that might have appear to have been blown (which really aren't, because once the data's gone, it's gone) and create an image with a greater impact than even with a properly exposed image.

my bad, yea it's wrong, sorry bout that.
i got it the other way around.
film camera can be under exposed because on the process of developing it, you can "cook" it over so it will get the supposed right color. (did i got that right?)

Most reactions

Back