Please let me know what you think of these. Thanks

Original:
7651_4x6-vi.jpg

Version 2:
7651_5x7-vi.jpg

Version 3:
red-vi.jpg

#1 is good.

#2 is OK...but the flowers are stealing attention away from the girl.

#3 is way too much.

Big Mike said:
#1 is good.

#2 is OK...but the flowers are stealing attention away from the girl.

#3 is way too much.

I agree with Mike. 1 is good... but in 2 and 3 the color pulls your attention and redefines the subject of the shot. If you really like the color / B&W affect my suggestion would be to do it with the girl and keep her in color with the flower... or something along those lines. I wouldn't abandon her though in the affect.

The color and composition of picture #1 is lovely...however, I must agree with mysteryscribe, your model's pose looks forced. Her right arm looks awkward in that position...perhaps both hands on the flower or her right hand on the front of her right thigh(?)...and I definitely would have had her close her eyes.

As far as the other two, I'm not a big fan of spot color. If I were, I would have only colored the petals and left the stem gray.

Number three is a bit over-saturated...the red in her dress is blooming (at least on my monitor, which is a color calibrated CRT).

Over all its a very nice picture, the model is adorable!!

thanks for the great advices.. i think version 3 is over saturated too, especially on my computer at work. at home it looks fine. i think i may need to get a color correction thing for my LCDs. any suggestions on which to get?

as for the model, she was very tough to work with. kids seem to be very hard to pose, most times i just let them run around and do whatever they want and i take candid shots.

Try this on the model thing.

Stand her where you want her, then say, "Now honey bend over and smell the flower...." then just take what she gives you. Models usually (not always) do a thing naturally, it's when we tell them how to do it that we get in trouble.

The exception was my daughter. She never knew how to smile that didn't look cheezy.

I think if you make a completely b/w version and put them in a row: b/w, #2, #3, you'll get a cool pop-art composition...

Don't know... I thought of Andy Warhol's [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Marilyn Monroe picture... I would remove borders and extra space and logo. IMHO.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Agreed, the logo is so big, you don't see the pictures anymore.

Adorable model, but I agree, very stiff. It's like I can see it in her eyes, she's trying to see what you're doing in her peripheral vision. I've taken portraits of kids for two years, so I know as much as anyone that sometimes you get what you get, and it's sometimes not as relaxed as you'd like. :) I personally love color accents, but it should be pale and blended, not overpowering. Keep practicing with it!

I still think the 3rd one is overdone. If you want more color or color on the girl, why not just color the ribbon in her hair to match the rose?

JenniferLynn84 said:
Agreed, the logo is so big, you don't see the pictures anymore.

Adorable model, but I agree, very stiff. It's like I can see it in her eyes, she's trying to see what you're doing in her peripheral vision. I've taken portraits of kids for two years, so I know as much as anyone that sometimes you get what you get, and it's sometimes not as relaxed as you'd like. :) I personally love color accents, but it should be pale and blended, not overpowering. Keep practicing with it!

i agree with making it more pale, last night when i was working on it, i noticed that but im not sure why at the time i didnt keep it pale instead of making it so bright.. i will have to give it another try today. the girl does seem very unnatural but for some reason i just like this picture. :eek:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back