please critique.

newrmdmike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
_DSC2792-Editsml.jpg

maybee its jsut me but i find the reeds / grass in the left hand corner destracting and i keep looking there instead of the rest of the pic. maybee they are shapish in comparison to the smoothness of the rest of the pic?

newrmdmike..... How are ya... ok first impression look... I believe I feel a slight tilt left in the photo?? going by the brush line at the base of the rock formation, and the the view pulls me left...

I also think you have a halo effect along the top of rock and sky..something overdone, in processing..

As a B+W it is a very low contrast shot, which is ok, it conveys a mood or change in weather... in other words a sunny day vs what you have here, brings on the contrasts, and highlights..

the rock formation lacks any highlighting or detail, but just appears flat/?

The whole shot just has me wondering what time of day this was taken??
It just doesn't seem to have the punch of a B+W for contrast/ tone or highlights....

dang, thanks, i'm on a new computer, and the contrast is definatly different than on my old monitor. i'm stuck using a laptop here, and at some angles i can't even see the halo around the peak. however, there is some burning in the sky, but not close to the peaks (ansel gets away with it :( oops) but overall i think the halo is just in the small resized+oversharpened image.

i agree though that the way the contrast is conveys a slightly . . . well darker mood.

about the time of day :thumbdown: mid-day, it was the only time i had to take the shot, and i doubt the dog would stick around for me.

i think i disagree about the tones part, its mostly the highlights that i think bother you, rather that there isn't as much contrast in the bright end of things

Mike..... That was quick!! You might be right on the tone feelings,, but what I guess I was saying is that the pic as a B+W ,,, shows the Grays in the sky area,,, shows the Blacks, ( Rock Formation ) but the pic actually portrays no whites... maybe this is a issue in an actual landscape type shot??

Its not a shabby pic in any manor, but think as a B+W it might be letting you down some.. I figured a high noon type shot when I saw the dogs shadow in the water, so harsh lighting also hard on B+W,,,

what stinks is that i'm not sure how far i can take the image in terms of editing since my calibration is TOOTALY off.

here is another edit . . . this is so disappointing to me since i have no clue what it really looks like. also, my edits don't look the same in preview/photoshop versus mozilla. its not the color profile of the image though. . .. erg, its almost like dry down or something.

_DSC2792-Edit-2.jpg

I dont usually do crop comment on photos i can't edit but I'm going to do this one by saying I think I would have tried cropping it at that patch of crass on the left there is nothing left of that patch that seems significant to me.

:) and i don't usually take crop comments as i'm a stubborn as s. BUT, i think i agree with what you said. . . maybe, well see! and thanks guys, i've been lazy lately about crops and such

Most reactions

Back