Please Evaluate

Sc00b3rts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
There is something I just do not like about this photo. I think its the fact that the focal point has become the trees but I am unsure. Would like other opinions.

RMNP2006ElkMTN.jpg

Camera make: SONY
Camera model: DSC-H2
Flash used: No
Focal length: 34.9mm
Exposure time: 0.0025 s (1/400)
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO equiv.: 80
Whitebalance: Manual
Light Source: Daylight
Metering Mode: spot
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Auto bracketing

Opps.. forgot that in my post. Feel free to edit if you think it would help.

In my eyes, I cannot really tell what the focal point is. Sometimes, it seems like the focal point is not balanced well between the mountains and the trees (although the trees are obviously darker). I don't know... something seems off balance. Maybe, it's the ground and the vertical line in the bottom right. And, yeah, the dark line around the mountains.

But, I think it's a nice nature shot, especially of the natural habitat of the bison/buffalo's/deer (i don't know what those things are. i just know they belong in that habitat ;) ).

mysteryscribe said:
except for the dark line around the mountainss I dont see anything that would improve it.

I'm sorry but are you referring to the shawdow on the ridge that seperates the mountains from the sky? If so how does one compensate for such things when take a picture?

DLozada said:
In my eyes, I cannot really tell what the focal point is. Sometimes, it seems like the focal point is not balanced well between the mountains and the trees (although the trees are obviously darker). I don't know... something seems off balance. Maybe, it's the ground and the vertical line in the bottom right. And, yeah, the dark line around the mountains.

I think I figured it out. The trees are slanted to the right in the picture. To me my eyes focus on the trees and not the elk at the bottom, maybe because they are so dark and slanted to the right, lol. Who knows, but like you there is just something wrong with this picture :)

I think he is talking about the outline of the mountains, caused by the shadow on the backside.

it's a nice enough looking of a picture, but there is just something missing that I cant put my finger on.

I'm going to strongly disagree with you. I feel that this photo is missing nothing. There's three very very beautiful elements to this photo. I just feel that the composition makes it awkward. You're not sure what to be looking at. I think I would have probably shot this verticle, or maybe tried to be further away or higher up, if possible. It really is just the composition that's making this shot a step down from brilliant.

For me, it's the fact that the middle third of the image is taken up by the trees. If they were sparser I don't think it would be an issue, but as they are, a large part of the image is taken up by a dark green mass that splits it down the middle.

It thats a shadow line,
47b64h0.jpg
what is casting a shadow on the sunny side of the mountain. On the smaller peak maybe but even that seems wrong for the amount of exposure and other shadows. The ridge line is what I was speaking of. I can't see what would be making that shadow.

As for the other I'm not crazy about the choice for a landscape but I don't see what could be changed to make it better. There are three very strong elements competing for attention. Not much you can do about that.

For me... I think the shot loses some punch because the trees are bigger and darker than the other elements in the frame so we all feel the trees are the subject and then it just becomes a pic of trees.

I think what could've made this shot better was a closer view of the elk (if you wouldn't have said they were elk I wouldn't have known) to define them or one of them as the subject with the trees and mountains rising behind them. Using a vertical composition as Andrew suggested would help too.

Just out of curiosity when you shot this one what did you intend the subject to be? I wonder how close you can get to an elk before it'd charge you.... hmmm :)

Thanks to everyone for looking at this photo. I knew something wasn't right with it. The focal point was supposed to be the large amount of elk ( I have NEVER seen so many together at one time). The trees just take the focal point away. Oh well.. composition for me is something I have to continue to work on :)

Flash Harry said:
I just thought it was a little flat, did an edit here:

Thanks that looks great, could you let me know what software you are using and what you did exactly?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back