PLease Explain Lenses to me?

Dragoness

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if someone can explain different lenses and their uses to me please? I have a telephoto lens and my mom (who gave it to me) said its for macro use... but my macro photos were better with a 18-55mm lens.

So can someone explain the different types of lenses and how they are used, and post examples if you happen to have them? Thanks so much!

That's a pretty broad question. :scratch:

Basically, the shorter the focal length, the wider the field of view and the longer the focal length, the smaller then field of view (more magnification).

Another thing you should know about lenses, is the aperture range...specifically the maximum aperture. This is represented in F numbers. For example, your 18-55 lens is probably has a maximum aperture of F3.5-5.6. The lower the number...the bigger the aperture...and bigger is better. Some zoom lenses, like the 18-55, have a variable maximum aperture (F3.5-5.6). This means that at 18mm, the max is F3.5 but at 55mm the max is F5.6. Better zoom lenses have constant max aperture...F2.8, for example.

The minimum aperture is usually something like F22, F29 etc...but that is of little importance.

Lenses with large maximum aperture have to be bigger, which means heavier and more expensive. However, these lenses are often made with image quality as a priority, rather than low cost and weight (like the kit lens).

As for MACRO, that usually has to do with the minimum focus distance. The closer the lens will focus, the more magnification you can get. A lot of lenses say 'Macro' on them...but very few can actually get 1:1 replication...which is what a true Macro lens can do.

Designated Macro lenses can come in various forms too. Nikon make a 55mm Macro lens and a 200mm Macro lens. The macro designation again is part of the ability to get close to a 1:1 reproduction size on the negative. With the 55mm you need to get almost right up to the element, while with the 200mm the close focusing point is a bit further away, but the long focal length counters that "problem".

A telefocus lens is not automatically good for macro.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back