Please explain the PC cord to a newbie

texassand

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm sure this is probably a dumb question but I'm confused. The flash meter I am going to buy says it "plugs into the pc cord of a strobe". (my strobes are being shipped right now so I can't physically look at them to undertstand the whole set up yet). But I also bought a radio flash trigger so doesn't this take the place of the "pc cord"? So how will I plug my flash meter into it then? sorry......I can't get anyone to explain the "technical" terms to me in layman's words so I am confused and like I said I don't have my equipment yet to start playing around and learning.

The flash meter can trigger the flash in the same way the camera can...they both have the same PC socket. So if you were going to fire the flash with a radio trigger attached to the camera...then just detach it from the camera and plug it into the meter...then you can meter the strobes.

well... don't think "personal computer"... PC cords have been around a lot longer than computers.

They PC terminal is the connection on a camera where the sync cord plugs in. On the FLASH end of the cord you're likely to have an AC plug, or maybe a 1/4" phone plug.

So, it sounds like your meter has a PC plug, allowing you to trigger the flash for taking a reading.

And, yes... the radio trigger will make a snyc cord unnecessary.

Does this help?

Pete

Actually it is really a sync cord, the pc is the type of connector that is on the sync cord. That is why some people refer to them as pc cords. You can have a sync cord with a pc to household or pc to pc, etc. It just depends on what you need it for and what your equipment uses.

The P.C. cord plugs (one end) into the camera (Not all cameras have the sockets for them). and the other end into the Strobes (Flash). pressing the shutter release closes the circuit and fires the strobe. The camera end can be taken off the camera and plugged int a flash meter so that the lighting may be set up and metered for the shot. But you must remember to replace the lead in the camera afterwards.
The radio flash trigger will do the same job as long as the transmitter and reciever are compatable with the kit you are using.

Most reactions

Back