Please help a Noob :)

Epanoi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I've recently just got my first SLR :) I've always been interested in photography, and after deciding that I needed to jump into SLRs, I made the decision to stick with film and learn with it and then graduate to a DSLR later on.

I remember my dad always using a camera so I called him up and asked him to dig it out of the atic for the next time I visit. I stopped by there a couple weeks ago and picked it up. Here's what was there:

1. Fujicon ST605N Body
2. Standard Kit Lens (1:2.2 f=55)
3. Tamron Tele Converter 2x for P/U
4. Tamron 35-135mm 1:3.5-4.5 Tele Macro with Mount

So I'm really excited about getting started and I've already been out for one shoot. You can see a photo here.

On to my questions:

1. The Tamron Tele Converter, is that simply to double the zoom of the kit lens?

The Tamron 35-135 is the lens I want to use most but I really don't know how to use it. Pulling in and out is obviously the zoom. And I'm okay with the focus ring. but...

2. There is an adjustable ring of numbers that I'm almost positive is the Aperture adjustment. However, the numbers go from AE 32 to 3.5. I have no ideas what these numbers mean and specifically, there's 2 pointers, one blue and one yellow. Which one is the correct one?

lens1wc2.jpg

3. There's a button on the lens next to the word "Macro" that when you depress you can turn a new ring on the lens. I'm guessing you simply do this when you want to enter into Macro mode so that it allows you to still focus when the subject is closer to the lens? Is that correct?

lens2ff6.jpg

4. When you do turn the Macro ring, there's new numbers that show up ranging from 1:4 to 1:7. Are these Aperture markers too? Are they only for when using the Macro mode?

lens3wx5.jpg

I really apologize for my noobness but I'd be extremely grateful if someone could take the time to explain this to me. And after I've got that down I'll be asking how to use the microprism and exposure gauge to take a shot :mrgreen:

you're right about the aperture ring. Basically, the numbers go from big (smallest aperture) to small (biggest aperture). The smaller the number the bigger the aperture opens up and the more light is let in. This also narrows your Depth of Field.

That "macro ring" has marks for magnification. That's so you can make the image appear bigger in the frame.

So when using the Macro mode, do I want to keep the zoom of the lens at a certain point and only rely on the magnification numbers? Or do you use both?

I would assume the AE mark is for "Auto Exposure". This most likely will set the aperture automatically for you when set. You would choose the shutter speed and the cameras meter would set the aperture.

AAAAAAAH!!! NO FILM! You will spend SO much more money than you will with digital, and take up SO much more time than you will with digital.

IMO

jstuedle, Thanks for the tip. I assumed that's what it meant so I'll have to give it a shot next time I'm out.

End Game, yeah I know it's a bit expensive, but this particular camera is very special to me for history sakes and I think it's kind of fun learning something by going manual and film and can graduate to a DSLR later in a couple of months if I find myself really thrilled with it.

I still have my point and shoot digital which is quite nice for normal stuff as well, this is really only going to be used when I specifically want to go out and do some artistic photography.

Jeesh over-reliance on digital. Common photographers have been using film for 100+ years and it hasn't killed anyone substantial. At least having 24 frames you need to pay for makes you stop and think about what you are doing.

The macro's magnification markers show what size the object will be projected at when it's in focus. You're film is 35mm so if you take a picture of an object at 1:4 it'll be 1/4 of the size on the film itself.

Play around with the zoom. See if you can even change it while in macro mode. Many lenses I have used only allow the macro function to be engaged at a certain zoom level, normally at one of the end points.

Most reactions

Back