Please help a noobie: why should I upgrade my camera?

I really don’t know Nikon lenses. But I should have said any lens will fit another camera within the same system.

I really don’t know Nikon lenses. But I should have said any lens will fit another camera within the same system.

The Nikon DX (APS-C) and FX (FF) lenses have the same F (dSLR) or Z (mirrorless) mount, but the image circle is different.
Smaller on the DX lens than the FX lens.

Ok, so I have a pretty outdated camera (Nikon D3200) and a micro lense. That's it.

I've just recently started learning the basics, and I plan on getting a lot better and hopefully be able to work somewhat professionally in a few years.

I mostly enjoy people and portrait photography, but also a bit of landscape/city life.

I keep reading about cameras and optics, and I feel myself getting more and more confused.

I think I am interested in a mirrorless camera. And I don't have a big budget. That's all I know. I want something that's sensible (it seems sensible to buy a body that fits "all" sorts of optics) and not too advanced, but I want great quality in different light settings (maybe my current camera isn't the best in that regard). In time I would like to take wedding pictures.

1. Could someone please tell me the limitations my current camera body has? I now know that getting better images is not necessarily solved by just getting a new camera body, but I would love to learn more about my current camera from you guys. How much can I expect if I upgraded a bit? What's "wrong" with Nikon D3200?

2. What would you do in my situation? Just buy some good optics or get a whole new body and optics? If so, what camera?

Thank you so much.
Three first place winners at Le Mans started with go karts! almost 60 years of experience and still learning!

Ahh this would be like the Canon EF mount and EF-S mount. Except the EF-S won’t mount on full frame cameras.

Ahh this would be like the Canon EF mount and EF-S mount. Except the EF-S won’t mount on full frame cameras.

Yup
If you buy EF lenses for your APS-C EF-S camera, then you can use those lenses if you upgrade to a FF EF camera.

I'll echo what others have said, the D3200 is a decent camera for general photography, and it should be good enough to learn on. At the start, you'll be limited more by skill than by the technical aspects of your camera.

Mirrorless cameras seem to be the way the industry is going, so getting in now would be a valid option, especially when you consider that it's a different lens mount. Remember, when you buy a camera, you also tend to buy in the that manufacturer's ecosystem, and it can take a number of years to build a good lens selection.

Wedding photography is one of the genres that require a lot of experience, knowledge, and high quality gear. Your current gear won't be up to consistantly producing professional results in the conditions you'll encouter at weddings. If that is your aspiration, try and get a really good standard of portraiture, then become a second shooter. Gear wise you'll be looking at top range cameras with a suite of f2.8 lenses.

I'll echo what others have said, the D3200 is a decent camera for general photography, and it should be good enough to learn on. At the start, you'll be limited more by skill than by the technical aspects of your camera.

Mirrorless cameras seem to be the way the industry is going, so getting in now would be a valid option, especially when you consider that it's a different lens mount. Remember, when you buy a camera, you also tend to buy in the that manufacturer's ecosystem, and it can take a number of years to build a good lens selection.

Wedding photography is one of the genres that require a lot of experience, knowledge, and high quality gear. Your current gear won't be up to consistantly producing professional results in the conditions you'll encouter at weddings. If that is your aspiration, try and get a really good standard of portraiture, then become a second shooter. Gear wise you'll be looking at top range cameras with a suite of f2.8 lenses.
Well said.

1. Could someone please tell me the limitations my current camera body has? I now know that getting better images is not necessarily solved by just getting a new camera body, but I would love to learn more about my current camera from you guys. How much can I expect if I upgraded a bit? What's "wrong" with Nikon D3200?
The main thing "wrong" with the D3200 is the ridiculously dim penta-mirror viewfinder. No camera is worth much if you cannot see to compose and focus properly. And the lower the light, the worse it is. It's OK for autofocus and good light, though.
2. What would you do in my situation? Just buy some good optics or get a whole new body and optics? If so, what camera?
Before replying, may I ask exactly what macro lens you have?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back