Please help amateur build first SLR

00bolt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I currently have a Canon S2 and recently have really enjoyed taking pictures. Im still a VERY NEWBIE and still actually learning the ins/outs of aperture, etc. I really wouldnt even say I know what Im doing totally with the S2 yet, but Im trying to plan my future. I can already tell Im going to quickly outgrow this camera and want to build an SLR setup. Problem is, I really dont have much of a clue... WIth the help of a friend, I came up with this list of pieces to put together. Im looking for any and all suggestions... Since Im just an amateur starting out, I really dont want to spend TOO much money. I was hoping to stay around $1000. This setup here puts me around $1200 with some smart shopping on ebay, etc....

Question, IF i did indeed go with this exact setup, can someone tell me what my limitations would be? What would I be "missing out on"?? Or would this actually be a pretty good setup? I dont want to rush and buy something Ill soon regret. Id like to do it right the first time and forget about lenses, etc and spend more time trying to take pictures....

Body - Canon XT
Tele - Canon 70-200 f4L
Wide - Sigma 18-50 f2.8
Macro - Canon 50 f1.8 II
Filters - Hoya Pro1 (UV, Circular PL, ND4)
Memory Card - SanDisk III (2gb+)

Sounds good for a starter setup to me. The only thing you might be missing is an external flash.

Looks good to me...except that the 50mm F1.8 isn't really a macro lens. It's a good little lens to have but not necessarily for macro unless you couple it with extension tubes. I believe that the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 has the 'macro' moniker...but I'm not sure how well it actually works for macro work.

I agree that adding a flash would be a good choice. Look into the Canon 430EX.

If you are looking at a discontinued body like the XT, TomHuck has a good point that a 20D might be a better choice.

Looks good to me...except that the 50mm F1.8 isn't really a macro lens. It's a good little lens to have but not necessarily for macro unless you couple it with extension tubes. I believe that the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 has the 'macro' moniker...but I'm not sure how well it actually works for macro work.

I agree that adding a flash would be a good choice. Look into the Canon 430EX.

If you are looking at a discontinued body like the XT, TomHuck has a good point that a 20D might be a better choice.
I agree. The 50 f/1.8 is a very great lens for all around use. I got some good close ups but for sure they werent macro photos.

Most reactions

Back