Please help chose a camera

vetnis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

Please help :)

I would like to purchase my first DSLR. When we took our son to a newborn session, the photographer was using a Sony camera. She recommended Sony for the ease of use. I heeded her advice and settled on Sony Alpha 57K. Naturally, it was discontinued as I went to look for it. There are still a few of them available here and there, though. The reviews for 57's replacement alpha 58 have been lukewarm.

I stopped by a store today to look at 57 and 58 together and some of the enthusiasts that I met there told me that canon T3 or nikon 3100 could be better cameras for me.

So, please tell me what you think. sony 57 or 58? canon t3? nikon 3100?

I would use the camera for taking pictures of my kids mostly. I'd probably buy a second lens for portraits (all three cameras are available in packages with two lenses).

Thank you so much for your help!

I dont like the reviews on the sonys.... personally I love the nikon d3200, and still think it was a great investment!!!
It may be a consumer grade camera, but dang does it shoot like a beast, check out my website, i shot every picture with it.
IanCookePhotography - Home
also check out this website, its great for comparing dslrs, it will tell you the advantages and the cons of every dslr, even nikon vs cannon vs sony :)
Camera Comparison - Snapsort
just type in two dslrs if you wanna see which one is better or just hit random :)

Ian, thanks! For what it's worth coming from a complete novice, your pics look great!

The reason why I mentioned sony 57 and 58, canon t3 and nikon 3100 is because that's what I could afford at this point :). So, would you still say Nikon?

Yesss, I love Nikon, my brother had the d3100 as well, and it was still just as a amzing camera as the d3200. It also has easy function that will teach you how to use a dslr, so i say its the perfect beginner camera :)

ps. forgot to mention a lens, I love my 35mm, its cheap and it takes amazing photos.
$1166675_orig.jpg
I took that one with the 35mm and its just amazing how beautifully the colors just pop out!

Ian, thanks! For what it's worth coming from a complete novice, your pics look great!

The reason why I mentioned sony 57 and 58, canon t3 and nikon 3100 is because that's what I could afford at this point :). So, would you still say Nikon?

Just for your information, you can save some money if you go with the factory refurbished camera from Canon.

Canon Direct Store - Refurbished EOS Digital SLR Cameras

The only different from a new camera is the 90 days warranty vs 1 year. I bought my Refurbished Canon 7D a year ago, and the camera I received look new to me (cosmetically).

Just for your information, you can save some money if you go with the factory refurbished camera from Canon.

Yup, and there are refurbished Nikon units available as well.

What's your budget?

hi again. that newborn that i mentioned in my first post kept me away for a while :)

my budget is 600 max

the sites that do the comparisons put alpha 57 as a winner against nikon 3100 and canon 3t. i am just wondering if i'll ever be able to really appreciate that something special that ranks sony above the rest.

refurbished prices are looking attractive, but i am somewhat afraid to spend so much on a refurbished piece of equipment.

Ian, if i can get half as decent shot as you showed, i'd be a happy camper. :)

hi again. that newborn that i mentioned in my first post kept me away for a while :)

my budget is 600 max

the sites that do the comparisons put alpha 57 as a winner against nikon 3100 and canon 3t. i am just wondering if i'll ever be able to really appreciate that something special that ranks sony above the rest.

refurbished prices are looking attractive, but i am somewhat afraid to spend so much on a refurbished piece of equipment.

Ian, if i can get half as decent shot as you showed, i'd be a happy camper. :)

Never fear with refurbs, mine was a store display refurb and had less than 1,500 clicks on it when purchased. It was flawless. Refurbs also come with a guarantee if bought from a trusted dealer.

Hi Vetnis - I have owned Nikon and Canon DSLRs and currently own Panasonic DSLMs, so I am brand agnostic. Your portrait photographer was right. With your budget, I would get the $598 Sony A57 or $548 A58.

You will get more camera for your money with these cameras. And yes, even as a beginner, it is good to have the Sony's extra features, such as HDR and panorama and more frames per second (Sony's 12fps is more likely to catch that perfect shot when your newborn starts walking :))

Here is what the A57 can do: Flickr: The Sony ?57 SLT Pool

And here are some A58 photos: Stridin' - a set on Flickr

Try to find the A57, if you can. They took 1080/60p video out of the A58. That may not mean anything to you now, but if you ever use the camera for video, it will :)

Congratulations on the new baby!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Don't just read on them, go into a store and handle them, see which one fits you, see which one has controls that make the most sense to you....consider the lens line up..consider what type of photography you want to do....everyone has their opinions on the best camera(s)...but YOU will be the one using whatever it is you wind up with.

Camera Reviews

http://www.photographytalk.com/compare-prices/camera-buying-guide?pt=6

Digital Photography Review

Compare digital cameras - Snapsort

Equipment & Reviews | What Digital Camera

You have to realize that asking which camera to buy is like asking which hammer is best for driving a nail. It's your pick. I recommend the cheapest. What you should be asking is how to understand light.

Snapsort is a joke. Do a comparison between the Canon 6D vs Canon 5D Mark III...it will suggest the 6D and while it is a nice camera it is NOT the better overall camera in that situation. You need to go and play with a camera at the store in order to properly decide what you want. Plus on this forum you will find a lot of people that say "NIKON" and also a ton that say "CANON" blah blah blah. At the entry level point I would say you would be happy with either Nikon or Canon. However, I would recommend going with either Nikon or Canon because they have more options available down the road rather than Sony, Olympus, or Pentax.

I am also looking for a dslr to take pics of my kiddos! I played for a couple minutes with a D3100 at Shutterbug, but couldn't get too into it because my 6 month old was not having fun and my 3 year old was bored. So I thought I'd for sure get that, then my husband steps in and tells me that if I did my research I'd find a Canon would be better because of the infinite lens options. *sigh* Okay, but really for what I'm going to be shooting (my kids) do I need all those? BUt then the auto focus thing with the Nikon and the more expensive lens... my head is going to explode!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back