Please Help: Location for baby pictures

NateS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife and I are hiring a pro photographer (she's very very good) to shoot some pictures of our baby. He'll be around 2 1/2 months old when the pictures are taken in the next week or two.

The photographer has given us the option to do outdoors or in her studio. I personally like the outdoor photos because of the brighter colors and fuller pictures (to me at least).

So, with a 2 1/2 month old that still can't hold his head up for very long, can't sit up on his own very well/long........is there one or the other that would be easier or better?

I'm sure many of you have shot babies around this age, so please give me your experiences and thoughts.

Studio would allow for easier 'prop-ups' with pillows, sheets, etc...but outdoor could achieve the same thing through use of seasonal props. Maybe something like a pumpkin or some sweaters burried under a pile of leaves for him to lean against and prop him up?

To me, shots of babies that young don't really need a vast background or environment because they are too young to interact with it. I prefer to keep it simple and close up.

Actually, when they are younger than 6 months or so, I really only like to shoot details (hands, feet & face) or else shoot them with the parents holding them.

Once they are able to hold their heads up with no trouble, there are a lot more possibilities.

I vote Studio.

We've decided to try for outside if the weather is good. I personally find the studio pictures to be a little boring and drab.....but they do have their own artistic look to them. Anyway, the shoot isn't until the 28th and with Missouri weather there's no telling what it will be like that day. We've got the studio as a backup if the weather isn't great.

I also like the closeup photos and the ones with the parents holding. Hopefully she'll still be able to get those types of photos even if it's outdoors. I just think the nice fall colors in the background will be a nice touch.

Most reactions

Back