Please help me edit, thank you.

Lee_Maryland

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone share how I can make those photos better? Please feel free to edit them, thank you. Any tip or suggestion would help, and she is my 1 yr old daughter, Evonne.

DSC_0961.jpg

CSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0962.jpg

I wouldn't bother witht he flower image. It's not really sharp to do anything with.

I worked on one of the images for you.

It was a little over a half a stop underexposed. I cropped in. Applied a tiny bit of skin glow and smoothing. Sharpened the eyes ever so slightly:

2-3.jpg

Thanks, look much better.

How can I tell if it a bit under exposed? Sorry, if this is a dumb question.

What editing software do you have available?

Joe

How about this for my first time at HDR processing added some tone and color.

DSC_0961.jpg

Why HDR, they are infamous for lousy skin tones, and now this wonderful child has a green cast to their skin.

i felt like it should be a warmer image
$tpfhelp baby 1-Edit.jpg

i did some color correction, exposure adjustments, saturation adjustments, and skin softening/brightening

Last edited:
the other was sharper so i did that one too
$tpf help baby 2-Edit.jpg

Thanks, look much better.

How can I tell if it a bit under exposed? Sorry, if this is a dumb question.

No such thing as a dumb question. Evonne is beautiful, you are very lucky. In Photoshop under the Windows menu is an option for Histogram. There is a menu in the right corner of the Histogram dialog. Select Expanded View and then in the drop box look at the Luminosity histogram.

From the Image/Adjustments menu select Levels -- you see the RGB composite histogram, it's similar. Use the right highlight slider and pull it left toward the graph. Tweak the result with the midpoint slider.

Evonne's skin tone is also blue in your original. That can also be adjusted using Levels but first you must change the color Mode from RGB to Lab. Then you can use Levels "a" and "b" channels (midpoint slider) to color adjust. Remember to put the photo back to RGB. I made those two changes; you can go further from there.

Joe

evonne.jpg

I wanted to give you some info about your rose photo. You may not consider it good news but it's the explanation you need. That photo is a processing disaster for which you are not responsible. Your camera did it and there's really no way to stop your camera from doing it again. The data recorded by your camera sensor is processed by software in the camera to produce the final JPEG photo that you end up with. That software has limitations and your rose photo blew right past those limits. They don't make software that can handle that I'm afraid.

You have three options.

1. Don't try and take any more photos of intensely colored flowers in the sun.
2. You can start trying to adjust your camera's various settings for things like contrast, saturation, exposure etc. to try and coax the software into not totally trashing subjects like this. You'll fail and your camera will keep crashing and burning. Buying another camera or more expensive camera won't help -- they all do the same no matter the cost.
3. Your camera can save the RAW sensor data which can be hand processed later -- big learning curve waiting for you there, but it is possible.

Here's an example -- I can't do this with your photo as it's already trashed by the camera beyond repair. My wife grows lots of roses and I photograph them some. Here's a recent photo very similar to yours. On the left you can see that my camera's software crashed and burned just like yours. Basically the red channel is massively clipped and so the detail in the rose is obliterated by posterized color. The photo on the right I hand processed from the RAW file. It's not a great photo, but it makes the point that the detail really was there in the rose and the camera really did record it. The detail was likewise in your rose and your camera really did record it and then the software in your camera trashed it.

Joe

rose_botch.jpg

WOW, thank you for the explanation Joe. I was dying to found out about the rose photo, I have tried many time but that was my best one. And now, I understand why. Learning how to shoot and process RAW in my next project; and the books I bought are not doing a great job explaining it. Do you have some good recommendations for book or reading materials? Well, the Photoshop is not really a piece of cake as well.

Most reactions

Back