please help me find the right tripod for me

tambrico

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I'm looking into buying a tripod to go with my relatively new DSLR. I've been researching, but there are a lot of options and I'd like some input.

What I'm looking for: A nice sturdy tripod that can be folded compact enough to where I can fit it in a backpack and walk around with it in there.

What I'm going to use it for: As of right now I only have a 50mm prime lens, but it's my next few investments that I feel will truly warrant a tripod. My next lens will be the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 which I plan to use for taking long exposure night cityscape photos of NYC. Some time after that I plan to buy a Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 that I'm going to use primarily for airplane spotting. So the tripod needs to be able to handle both those lenses.

I'd say the maximum I'm willing to spend is around $300

The closest thing to what I'm looking for that I have found so far is the Benro Travel Angel.
Amazon.com: BENRO TRCB068 Travel Angel TRCB: Camera & Photo

But after reading several reviews of it, it seems that it may not be suitable for the 150-500mm lens. I'm really not sure why, but the reviews are stating that a focal length of 150mm would be pushing it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm sure a store associate would be more then happy to assist you.

>implying store associates are the end-all be-all of opinions

The reason I ask on a forum is to get a wide range of opinions. A store associate is trying to sell you something. In my experience, I find user input to be far more helpful.

I'm sure a store associate would be more then happy to assist you.

>implying store associates are the end-all be-all of opinions

The reason I ask on a forum is to get a wide range of opinions. A store associate is trying to sell you something. In my experience, I find user input to be far more helpful.

If you go to an actual Camera store instead of some electronics giant you'd be talking to Users more than store associates. At least at Dodd camera (big Cleveland name) I know this is true...every time I've gone in they've been actually helpful in trying to find something or even if I might be able to get the item for a better price online. I've been told to hit Amazon more than once when going in.

A travel tripod means compact and lightweight. Both of which decrease usability (to short) and stability (to light).

The 150-500 mm is a 4.2 lb lens. Add the weight of your camera. as a round number, say 6 lbs.

You'll be hard pressed to find a travel tripod that can handle that kind of weight. For durability and stability reasons, tripod capacity needs to equal at least 2 times (preferably 3x) the maximum weight you will be putting on the tripod head. (the extra capacity allows for hanging weight from the tripod to stabilize it when it is windy.)

I recommend planning on strapping a full size tripod on the outside of a backpack. Also I recommend www.Giottos.com tripods. I highly recommend their MT line of 3 leg section, aluminum tripods, which also come with tools and a carry bag.

Last edited:
That's a hefty lens, I would throw out the idea of mini-pods and get yourself a nice tripod which you can anchor on the back of your camera backpack and a mono-pod.

A travel tripod means compact and lightweight. Both of which decrease usability (to short) and stability (to light).

The 150-500 mm is a 4.2 lb lens. Add the weight of your camera. as a round number, say 6 lbs.

You'll be hard pressed to find a travel tripod that can handle that kind of weight. For durability and stability reasons, tripod capacity needs to equal at least 2 times (preferably 3x) the maximum weight you will be putting on the tripod head. (the extra capacity allows for hanging weight from the tripod to stabilize it when it is windy.)

I recommend planning on strapping a full size tripod on the outside of a backpack. Also I recommend www.Giottos.com tripods. I highly recommend their MT line of 3 leg section, aluminum tripods, which also come with tools and a carry bag.

Thank you. This is more along the lines of the answer I was looking for. I will absolutely look into and consider the Giotto's line of tripods.

After starting the thread I did some more research and found this model in the Benro line
Benro A-2691 Travel Angel Alum. Tripod A2691TB1 B&H Photo Video

According to the manufacturer, it is rated for 26.4 pounds, which fits into the 3x weight range you specified. I also really like how this particular tripod can function as a monopod with its detachable leg.

Thank you. This is more along the lines of the answer I was looking for. I will absolutely look into and consider the Giotto's line of tripods.

After starting the thread I did some more research and found this model in the Benro line
Benro A-2691 Travel Angel Alum. Tripod A2691TB1 B&H Photo Video

According to the manufacturer, it is rated for 26.4 pounds, which fits into the 3x weight range you specified. I also really like how this particular tripod can function as a monopod with its detachable leg.

I must say that's a really nice tripod and very versatile with the ability to turn it into a mono pod; it's brilliant.

Have you looked at the Gitzo Traveler series? Check out the Gitzo Traveler GT 1541t for a really sturdy tripod that folds up compact. It is a bit out of the maximum price range you mentioned, but not much and definitely worth it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back