Please help me with my school project

cmyyard19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Please help! I’m conducting research for a school project on photography. The survey is only 11 questions and should only take a few minutes of your time and would be a great help to my homework. If you would like to keep your response private you can send your response to [email protected]. Thanks for your help

1. How would you classify yourself as a photographer?
Professional Advanced amateur Amateur Novice

2. How would you classify yourself as a videographer?
Professional Advanced amateur Armature Novice

3. What type of photography equipment do you own and how much would you say you have invested?

a. Do you ever have any problems with your equipment? If so what?

4. What type of video equipment do you own and how much would you say you have invested?

5. If you own lighting equipment, do you ever have problems with its versatility or effectiveness? Please explain.

6. Do you use a tripod? How often do you use it? What are you likes and dislikes about it?

7. Where and what do you prefer to shoot? (outdoors, studio, macro, est.)

8. If you could have any accessory for your equipment what would it be?

9. Do you ever feel limited by the equipment you own? If so, in what way?

10. Is there any type of equipment you wish as available or designed better?

11. Could you see yourself using an automated tripod with wireless tilt and pan control? If so what would you use it to capture?

Amateur.
Novice.
3. What type of photography equipment do you own and how much would you say you have invested?
35mm film, 6x6 cm film, digital and darkroom. Several $K.
No. n/a.
4. What type of video equipment do you own and how much would you say you have invested?
None. Nothing.
No. n/a.
5. If you own lighting equipment, do you ever have problems with its versatility or effectiveness? Please explain.
n/a.
6. Do you use a tripod? How often do you use it? What are you likes and dislikes about it?
Yes. Frequently. It's sturdy. No dislikes.
7. Where and what do you prefer to shoot? (outdoors, studio, macro, ect.)
Outdoors. Landscape and 'street'.

n/a.

No. n/a.
No. No.

11. Could you see yourself using an automated tripod with wireless tilt and pan control? If so what would you use it to capture?
No. n/a.

Advanced amateur

n/a

Couple of Dslr, a few old slr, some lenses, 10k

problems include the guy behind it, as well as the person/people in front of it.

n/a

operator incompetence

n/a

yep, 10% of the time, its a stable platform, but a pain in the rear to carry around and move

indoors and outdoors, sports, concerts, events, etc.

God

not at all

10. Is there any type of equipment you wish was available or designed better?

nope

Yep, as long as it is near dead silent. I'd use it(coupled with other devices) to remote control a camera from a catwalk or other elevated place at concerts or plays.

Advanced amateur

Novice

Nikon d200, nikon 18-70 lens, various old minolta gear, Darkroom equipment. 1000 or so.

None

None

N/a

N/a

No. Well super rarely.

city, portraits, models.

More lenses, if that doesnt count, flashes and a tripod.

Yes, by my lenses maximum aperture.

Everything I could ever want is already available.

No, N/A

A: Advanced/semi-pro

A: semi-pro

A: Canon $10,000

A: No

A: Canon $5,000

A: Rarely, Not best suited for my purposes. I use a monopod mostly

A: Motocross, outdoors

A: More remote equipment

A: Would like a few more options in lenses, and at least one 1Ds MIII

A: Completely sealed bodies and lenses.

A: Yes, I would use it for ceremonies, ie...weddings, graduations, banquets...etc.
Could effectively function as a second shooter, without a photog being in a key area of the event. Remote shoot from laptop, or wireless trigger that photog can carry with him/her around the location.

LOL, highly suspicious. How bad do you really want us to email you? And how soon do we get advertisements for a camera accessory depot?

Advanced amateur

n/a

film SLR, digital SLR, professional prime lenses, wide to short-telephoto amateur zoom lenses, tripod. Probably something to the effect of $1500 invested.

None whatsoever - I buy Nikon for a reason :)

n/a

n/a

n/a

I don't use it very often, maybe once every 5 or 6 times I go out and shoot. I like the fact that I can use long exposures (i.e. for night shots) but hand-holding let's me compose with much more ease; also, although the tripod I have is very stable it wouldn't hold up in wind or with a heavier lens/body. Monopods are irrelevant for me since I don't shoot long-telephoto.

Outdoors - mostly landscapes/cityscapes with a little bit of portraiture as well. I would definitely experiment with macro if I had a decent macro lens, but those are expensive (even the manual-focus ones are expensive for me right now).

If you could consider a lens to be an accessory, then one of those 600mm bad-asses would be awesome (but I can't even fathom the thousands of dollars that they cost). Otherwise, I need a SB-800 - SB-900 doesn't like film too much from what I read, and my F100 doesn't have a wireless command unit so I'd need to buy a SB-800 later on anyways if I wanted a second flash for use with my film camera.

If I ever pull out my lesser lenses, say if I want that 135mm focal length for my D80, then I feel limited by the lower-quality of the glass. Those kit lenses though generally stay buried in a drawer and I just go out with my prime lenses and F100, where I can take awesome pictures that fit those focal lengths. Expanding my lens collection, say with a 105mm VR Macro or a PC lens, would simply allow me to create more kinds of shots. It's a limitation of sorts but not one I feel out in the field.

Aside from finding a way to make all of this stuff available for $50 or less... just make everything faster and stronger, i.e. gimme a f/1.2 24mm prime and couple it with a body so that I can shoot underwater without needing a protective case (although these are pipedreams I admit).

What the hell would I use one of those for?! Photography is what I, me, me only, see - if I wanted to shoot from further up the mountain I'd climb there, if I wanted to shoot from up in the air I'd get a helicopter to ferry me there.

1. I'm an enthusiast or advanced user.

2. I'm a below-novice videographer lol

3. Equipment in a nutshell
Nikon D90 - $1000
Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 lens - $425
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - $400
Nikon 50mm f/1.8 - $100
Tamron 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 - $300
SB-800 - $440
Sigma 105 f/2.8 Macro - $425
SLIK Tripod - $150
Crumpler Whickey and Cox Backpack - $200

Total - About $3,440 not counting all the miscellaneous stuff.

3a. Had a problem with my D90 but amazon replaced it at no cost.

4. I own no video equipment

5. I have problems with my speedlight because I am still learning to use it :)

6. I use a tripod sometimes. Only when shooting landscapes and in low light situations. I like it being a stable platform, but hate lugging it around lol

7. I like shooting anywhere I can. I like shooting people and urban/architecture.

8. If I could have an accessory it would be more lenses (24-70 f/2.8, 105mm f/2, 80-200 f/2.8) or more speedlights.

9. I dont think I'm limited by equipment, it's a challenge to find new ways to use it to meet my needs.

10. I wish the D400 was available cause I'd buy it. :)

11. Nope

Please upload a copy of the "assignment" from your teacher

Advanced amateur

Advanced amateur

Mostly Nikon specific brand. About $14,000Cdn, $11,000US

None to date

Mostly Sony brand. About $8000Cdn

None to date

The only issues to versatility I have would be when I am using the wrong tool to accomplish a task. Besides that, no to either question.

Yes. It gets used about 15% of the time. Likes: Sturdy, solid, no dislikes.

No preference. I love shooting indoors, outdoors, anywhere any style, but I seem to enjoy weddings and portraiture more tha the others by a small amount.

I am 90% complete with my setup. Only missing 1 lens (Nikkor 14-24), 1 powerful studio head and 4 Pocket Wizard FelxTTL5 transceivers for Nikon, but they are not yet released.

No, one of the main reasons I chose my specific equipment is for it's versatility. I do my research and homework intensly before making any purchase.

I'd not mind an uber-sharp 70-200 F/1.4 lens that was only mildly heavier than the current Nikkor units. This is not going to hapen, though.

I have one for the video camera. It is nice for Christmas shots so that I can be in the home videos, but besides that I never use it. Most on the market are overpriced for what they do.

Last edited:
amateur

n/a

3. What type of photography equipment do you own and how much would sony gear, probably around 1k

no

n/a

n/a

just a flash gun that i use off camera, no problems

yes, not very often, maybe for 8% of all shots i take, i like how it's pretty solid but bulky to carry around

i love shooting in urban settings

right now
a super wide lens (sigma10-20:heart:) or maybe a couple of strobes

not at all

10. Is there any type of equipment you wish as available or designed better? i wish my sony gear was not all proprietary parts, flash mount etc. it's hard to get an off camera flash setup going with radio triggers.

11. Could you see yourself using an automated tripod with wireless tilt and pan control? If so what would you use it to capture? no i don't think i would ever have a need for something like that

Thanks for your responses, this forum has by far the nicest people in it. I got some of the rudest email back from some of the other sites. If any one else wishes to participate it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

cmyyard19, you posted this thread at other forums too right? thought i seen it before
clear.gif

Professional Advanced amateur Amateur Novice - Advanced

Professional Advanced amateur Armature Novice - N/A

3. What type of photography equipment do you own and how much would you say you have invested? - Olympus Body, two lenses, two tripods, a bag. about 1800$

a. Do you ever have any problems with your equipment? If so what? - No problems.

4. What type of video equipment do you own and how much would you say you have invested? - None.

a. Do you ever have any problems with your equipment? If so what? - n/a

5. If you own lighting equipment, do you ever have problems with its versatility or effectiveness? Please explain. - Have none.

6. Do you use a tripod? How often do you use it? What are you likes and dislikes about it? I have a carbon fiber tripod that i use half the time i shoot. i love it because it is extremely light.

7. Where and what do you prefer to shoot? (outdoors, studio, macro, est.) - Everything but studio.

8. If you could have any accessory for your equipment what would it be? - Telephoto lens and a new flash on top of body.

9. Do you ever feel limited by the equipment you own? If so, in what way? nope.

10. Is there any type of equipment you wish as available or designed better? - not yet.

11. Could you see yourself using an automated tripod with wireless tilt and pan control? If so what would you use it to capture? - Sacreligious :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back