Please help me!!

monicarrt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im getting VERY frustrated with my pictures. Im a newbie and Ive been using lightroom for about a month. My pictures look perfect on lightroom until I save them to my computer then they look grainy. If I post them on Facebook they look even more grainy and when I print them, Its horrible!! I dunno if its something Im doing wrong with my camera? Or is it a function in Lightroom? I just need help. Please and thank you!

Im getting VERY frustrated with my pictures. Im a newbie and Ive been using lightroom for about a month. My pictures look perfect on lightroom until I save them to my computer then they look grainy. If I post them on Facebook they look even more grainy and when I print them, Its horrible!! I dunno if its something Im doing wrong with my camera? Or is it a function in Lightroom? I just need help. Please and thank you!

Do you have an example you can post?

What are your export settings also. You may be saving them as a low quality jpeg. And facebook ruins pics IMO so not much to be done about that. But the others should be fine. Make sure you are saving the highest quality you can for printing or other application.

Here's an example.... JPEG, Quality 70, color space sRGB(not even sure what that means).

Attachments

• $Crookhams 095.jpg
    $Crookhams 095.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
for one, try upping your quality slider to 100 instead of 70.
for 2, up your resolution to 300 for printing.

Thanks for the advice. I was just losing my patience bc I couldn't fix it! On the computer it doesn't look a lot different but hopefully printed it will. Thanks again!

Are you printing them at home or at a store?

What size are you printing?
What size file are you using to print?

A friend of mine told me 70 should be about right. I had no idea. I've printed them at Walmart, Walgreens, shutterfly, millers.....millers was spot on. But unfortunately I give CDs and my customers will most likely use Walmart/Walgreens. In lightroom, I change the size to 8x10 when I crop.

Heres another newbie question....in the export module it says "image sizing" and the options are width and height, dimensions, long edge, short edge, megapixels. Which one should I be using? I thought probably dimensions since I was picking 8x10?

going out on a limb here and assuming Monica is a woman who has been using LR for a month...

Ok, I've been doing pictures for a while but of family/friends. I'm new to LR. I haven't had photoshop or anything until now. I've only edited in Picnic and Ribbet. And yes, thanks for clarifying I am a woman and no I never said I was a pro, that's why I am asking for advice. But I am very thankful to the ppl who aren't smart Elics and are willing to help me learn. Sometimes it's difficulty for the so called "pros" to remember being new to something and that doesn't make it any easier for us to ask questions. Thank you wyogirl and 480sparky!

Heres another newbie question....in the export module it says "image sizing" and the options are width and height, dimensions, long edge, short edge, megapixels. Which one should I be using? I thought probably dimensions since I was picking 8x10?

Lightroom export dialog - Bing

From Lightroom Help (with Lightroom open, press your keyboard F1 key to directly access Lightroom Help)
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/topics.html

Exporting photos

Don't freak out. LR is complex even at it's simpliest features. I know. I bought it a year ago but only recently started using it because it seemed overwhelming. Just go through some of Keiths suggested readings. And look at the export screen - scroll up and down.
The most important ones I first started looking at was ,

File Settings - Quality 100 (I also may use Limit file size to 3000 which greys out the Quality slider)
Image Sizing - Resolution - I set it to 800 which is way too high
Output Sharpening - Sharpen file for screen, Amount = High
Metadata = All

unfortunately I am reading Keiths posting too because I'm a newbie to LR but those are my settings.

I don't select the edge size or anything because at Walmart I can then adjust the picture to what I'm doing - one 8x10, two 4x5s etc.
So I "figured" making sure I get the highest resolution while still limiting file size was my best option.

But, as mentioned, I'm nowhere near an expert at LR. But hopefully that will help you start as I seem to be getting good results from it.

Most reactions

Back