Please help my decision A7Rii vs 5Dsr

If you were in my shoes as big and clumsy as they are. Do you think $2700 is a good deal on that 5dsr? The only flaw I see it a couple minor scratches on the rear lcd display.

Hahaha, I´m afraid I don´t want to be the deciding factor. I can´t really tell you what I´d do if I were you. I´d probably go with the 5dsr. But in my shoes, knowing how much more I use the sony than the canon, I´d probably not get a new canon in a while. In fact If I didn´t have all the canon glass, I´d currently rather buy an a99II, but that would be insane with all the glass and equipment.
One more note: my Canon Speedlights do work on the A7RII (no TTL of course and the size is awkward), so I guess your twinlite will work too. And regarding the MPE-65mm - I haven´t used it, but in regard to manual focussing, the Sony beats my 5dIII hands down. But the 5dsr is much newer, maybe that changed.
I hope that doesn´t make your decision even more difficult.

Wait, here´s another rather big Sony-con: sensor dust. I´m set back to the pre-5DII stages, where sensor dust was a pain. Here I go cleaning my sensor for tomorrow´s shoot ;).

Dynamic range is much more important than colors for landscape. Sony colors are not that bad, anyway. Not bad at all! BTW I'd use Rawtherapee instead of any other RAW-converter.
If you think about video on 7R II - whell it's really not that good (looks like sensor line skipping), I'd buy another camera for 4K video anyway. Sony RX100 V perhaps - just for video. It's redicilously good for landscape video - gets the 4K from 6K readout is supersharp with good DR in S-Log files. It also has ND-filters inside.

about 7RII video please check EOSHD review!
Sony A7R II Review - Part 1 - Summoning the devil - EOSHD

Last edited:
Thanks what I was really asking regarding "my shoes" is if you had decided on the Canon would you go a the used $2700 one I described or spend a bit more and get a certified refurb from canon? Sorry I wasnt clear on that.

I could buy new but as someone else said I'm juts not convinced the Canon is worth the $3600 price tag for a new one.

And another pro Sony, sorry - Face (and eye) detection Auto focus. Especially in situations like this, where you merely run beside somebody, this function is a killer. NO WAY I would have been able to do that with a Canon.
BUT: you need native lenses for that to work.

zeiss55.jpg zeiss_55mm_Crop.jpg

Thanks what I was really asking regarding "my shoes" is if you had decided on the Canon would you go a the used $2700 one I described or spend a bit more and get a certified refurb from canon? Sorry I wasnt clear on that.

I could buy new but as someone else said I'm juts not convinced the Canon is worth the $3600 price tag for a new one.

That´s another difficult one for me :D. In Austria I have 20% sales tax which I can deduct (or get back) running a business. More often than not, you can´t get that from used equipment. Even if I could, I can put it into my accounting in general, so that´s not 900 more for me in the end, but rather 500. If that´s similar in your case, I´d go with the new one. If not and it has warranty, I´d be tied. But probably still get the new one. I don´t mind so much buying used glass, but with cameras I´m more conservative. Especially the more expensive they get.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back