Please help spend a bit of money

Wow, 15 views and only one suggestion... come on people!

So you get impatient after 15 mins? Seriously, come on person!

There was a thread a few days ago about what to buy for under $100. Try using the search function.

But basically, there isnt much you can get... CPL filter, UV filter, lens hoods, lenspen,..

Alright, Twinkmonster... when there's 124 people viewing a particular part of a forum, it's almost better than a chat room.

WHAT?!? Someone doing their own research in this world of instant messaging, instant coffee and instant gratification? pffft.... come on, get real.

Well if everyone did that, there wouldn't be anything for guys like you to complain about! :hug::
Last time I checked, a forum is another method to get information, unless I'm mistaken... things sure would get dull around here .

Thanks for your suggestions, though.

Wow, 15 views and only one suggestion... come on people!

So you get impatient after 15 mins? Seriously, come on person!

There was a thread a few days ago about what to buy for under $100. Try using the search function.

But basically, there isnt much you can get... CPL filter, UV filter, lens hoods, lenspen,..

Alright, Twinkmonster... when there's 124 people viewing a particular part of a forum, it's almost better than a chat room.

WHAT?!? Someone doing their own research in this world of instant messaging, instant coffee and instant gratification? pffft.... come on, get real.

Well if everyone did that, there wouldn't be anything for guys like you to complain about! :hug::
Last time I checked, a forum is another method to get information, unless I'm mistaken... things sure would get dull around here .

Thanks for your suggestions, though.

True, but look at all the crappola you have to wade through to get so little really useful information. :lmao:

Well, I ended up going to the local used photography place, and they didn't have any Minolta or Sony mount flashes, so they came up with the idea of using a photocell sensor to put on a handle and put a Sunpak auto 30dx on top of it... only problem that I'm realizing, is that I still have to use the on camera flash to trigger the new flash. I also picked up a sturdy used tripod too.

I guess it'll be handy to be able to mount it on my other tripod to use it as an off camera strobe. I'm thinking I should still get a flash that's made for my camera though... Are there any tricks to use what I have without so much of the built in flash ruining the shot?

True, but look at all the crappola you have to wade through to get so little really useful information. :lmao:

Its ashame, isn't it? :meh:

Yes. You do realize that because you did no initial research, you had unrealistic expectations and that caused it all, right? ;)

SNIP> Are there any tricks to use what I have without so much of the built in flash ruining the shot?

Yes, there is a trick or two. Basically, you need to divert the flash toward the photocell that is triggering the off-camera flash. Typically, most photocell triggers (aka optical slaves aka slave trigger aka remote slave) will trip when they are exposed to any bright, rapidly-peaking light from a flash, so the camera's on board flash must be used in a manual mode that does NOT use a pre-flash. If the optical trigger is sensitive, as little as a 1/16 power manual flash blip will trigger the off-camera flash; possibly more flash will be needed to trigger the slave.

To divert the on-board flash, you can use aluminum foil to make a snoot that shunts the light off to the side, or whichever direction the slave trigger and off-camera flash are mounted. Diverter or "blocker units" can also be made from a cut-out, opaque film canister that you slip over the onboard flash. The open end will shunt the flash off to the side.

Yes. You do realize that because you did no initial research, you had unrealistic expectations and that caused it all, right? ;)

Well, I DID do research, believe it or not... but I'm not a common American... I don't believe everything I read from one source... I like to get back up verification from other sources.... call me crazy, but I figured a forum with live people with experience could chime in, and either debunk or verify the static research I've already done...

However, no thanks to Big Twink boy, I counted on the sales guys at the store, because I couldn't break through some of the huge egos of people that would rather take the time to read, then take even more time to try to run someone down, rather than being helpful.

Oh well, nothing new...

SNIP> Are there any tricks to use what I have without so much of the built in flash ruining the shot?

Yes, there is a trick or two. Basically, you need to divert the flash toward the photocell that is triggering the off-camera flash. Typically, most photocell triggers (aka optical slaves aka slave trigger aka remote slave) will trip when they are exposed to any bright, rapidly-peaking light from a flash, so the camera's on board flash must be used in a manual mode that does NOT use a pre-flash. If the optical trigger is sensitive, as little as a 1/16 power manual flash blip will trigger the off-camera flash; possibly more flash will be needed to trigger the slave.

To divert the on-board flash, you can use aluminum foil to make a snoot that shunts the light off to the side, or whichever direction the slave trigger and off-camera flash are mounted. Diverter or "blocker units" can also be made from a cut-out, opaque film canister that you slip over the onboard flash. The open end will shunt the flash off to the side.

Great idea, Derrel... Thanks for the advice... I'll try the aluminum foil idea tonight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back