please help with auto-focus issue

funkyfreshink

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey guys I'm new to the forum so let with start with hello and thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I just recently bought a used Minolta maxxum 5 slr with a 28-80 af lens from eBay and it won't take any pictures while in af mode. the focus indicator just blinks constantly no matter what setting im on (eg. portrait, action, night shot) and the shutter never opens . it works fine in manual but when I reset it just focuses back and forth. I've cleaned the contacts but that didn't help either. any suggestions

Welcome to the forum.

It's common for auto focus SLR cameras, that when they are in the the 'Still Subject' AF mode, the shutter won't fire until the lens has achieved focus. I can't guess why the lens isn't focusing (dark conditions maybe?), but I'd guess that the reason it's not firing, is because of the AF mode it's in.

You could try switching it to another AF mode, that may allow it to fire, but that probably won't solve the problem of not being able to achieve focus.

Are you **SURE** the lens is an autofocus lens or did you say that simply because that's what you think you bought?

I've tried all other af modes and custom settings, I've tried indoor and outdoor settings in all types of light conditions still nothing. from what I've read it is the standard lens that was made for the camera. like I said it does focus automatically it just doesn't allow me to shoot.

I've tried all other af modes and custom settings, I've tried indoor and outdoor settings in all types of light conditions still nothing. from what I've read it is the standard lens that was made for the camera. like I said it does focus automatically it just doesn't allow me to shoot.
Sorry, missed that part.

Does it require that there be film loaded in order to fire? I think the reset to default option might be the first order of business. It has been a LONG time since I held a Maxxum 5 in my hands, but I seem to recall it having a "trap focus" mode...maybe it has been set that way...if it WILL autofocus, but will not fire in AF Mode, then it sounds like a problem with "modality". Since you stated that the camera WILL FIRE in manual focusing mode, then we know the shutter works, so...again, back to performing a re-set to clear out the settings...I bet that will work and clear up the issue.

Most reactions

Back