Please help with choosing a camera?

If you want to learn photography, and don't care for video, I'd go with the Fuji XT-1. Why? Because all the controls are easily accessible via marked dial on the body or lens, so you don't need to fidget through annoying and obtuse digital menu. You don't even have to turn the camera ON to see all the important information at a single glance. There's a very nice selection of lens for that system as well.
If you insist on DLSR for some reasons, I wouldn't go below a nikon D7100 or D7200, and comparable Canon, because the controls are so annoying on the entry level that very few ever get passed auto mode, and consequently learn very little.

I couldn't disagree with this more. I can't speak for Fuji, but the entry level Nikon 3000 and 5000 series are very good cameras. They will take every bit as good of pictures as the 7000 series.
Didn't say they wouldn't take good picture, I said the controls were awful, and I stand by this. A-w-f-u-l.
As far as picture quality, any camera made in the last 3~4 years will have great picture quality, that's not the reason to choose one over the other. Built quality, ergonomics, quick access to controls and good choice of glass are.
Where do you poll the results that "very few ever get passed the auto mode and consequently learn very little" ?? That's not anywhere close to factual information.
That is just everybody I know, and it's a lot of people, save one; and as soon as he learned what aperture, speed and ISO meant, he promptly sold his 5100 and bought a D7000(bought mine in fact).

Last edited:
I have a Nikon D7100 and love it. I would suggest that you put a few in your hands a see what feels right. i would also look into renting a few to "test drive". You will find some people will preach only canon or only nikon. they are both some of the best in the world. looking forward to seeing some of the results from you investment.

As a begineer you don't have an investment in lenses to worry about. I can't imagine there can be many interchangable lens cameras built in the last 5 years that wouldn't be capable of taking the images you're talking about. Even my old Pentax K100d (nearly 10 years old now) would be acceptable. Newer cameras will give you advantages - mainly in the noise levels seen in low light shots & the available ISO options.

IMO weight is a significant factor to consider. If you're going up a hill for the view from the top or going for a walk in the country, a heavy camera is more likely to be left behind!

Another more personal factor that is often overlooked is the cameras ergonomics. If you have big hands a compact camera may not work for you - others need delving in menus to change functions you might want readily accessible. This is someting it's difficult to advise about I don't like the controls on any of the canon DSLRs I've come across at our workshop (Nikon are only a little better from my point of view either). My current main cameras are micro four thirds ones by Panasonic & a Pentax DSLR - I find the menu systems & layout easy to work with on both. The smaller Panasonics don't fit my hand quite as well, but the lighter weight means they're more likely to be with me.

I'd suggest buying a moderate (giving easy access to aperture/shutter speed & ISO) used camera DSLR or mirrorless together with the kit zoom & maybe one of the telephoto lenses. Ideally get one you can test the feel off first. Use that to get to know what's important to you in photography, and where if anywhere that cammera's shortcommings are. Only upgrade if it overcomes a limitation that's relevant for your usage.

The camera will probably come with some budget software for editing, but I find Faststone which is free is an improvement on most of those. If you want more in your editing GIMP (also free) is quite capable though Photoshop or Lightroom are the most common options. Stick with the free options to begin with - you may never need more.

Didn't say they wouldn't take good picture, I said the controls were awful, and I stand by this. A-w-f-u-l.
As far as picture quality, any camera made in the last 3~4 years will have great picture quality, that's not the reason to choose one over the other. Built quality, ergonomics, quick access to controls and good choice of glass are.
Where do you poll the results that "very few ever get passed the auto mode and consequently learn very little" ?? That's not anywhere close to factual information.
That is just everybody I know, and it's a lot of people, save one; and as soon as he learned what aperture, speed and ISO meant, he promptly sold his 5100 and bought a D7000(bought mine in fact).

I shot in Av over 95% of the time Tv comes next at ~2% and manual covers nearly all the rest. Access to these settings together with focus, exposure compensation, ISO & white balance are critical if I'm going to control the camera. I'm not sure if I've ever used any of the subject oreintated modes, they are present on all my main cameras, but I've never seen any advantage to them. they do get used by some at our local photography workshop, but once the get to know the basics they never look back. For many the camera had just stayed in auto and made all the descisions other than when to take the shot.

Wow I can't thank you guys enough, this is very informative and you are all so kind! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me and not make me feel dumb for being so new to this. :) I will probably read through this several times, and as suggested go to an electronics store near me to handle them and give them a try (I'm a little person and have very small hands haha so I probably should make sure I can hold them comfortably). And thanks for pointing out the importance of how easily accessible the controls are - that's not something I would have initially thought of. I imagine whatever I get, I will be watching plenty of youtube videos and reading plenty of books/articles to get me as familiar as possible with it (and a place in my community offers a couple of photography classes for a decent price I plan to take) and hopefully I can come back here much more knowledgeable about all this haha. I am leaning towards the Nikon line I think. Any more advice from anyone is very much welcomed, and I will be sure to keep you guys updated and let you know what I get and share my progress while learning to use it! I have always wanted to do this so I'm very excited to get started. :)

My normal response is the Nikon D5500 and kit lens. Add an SB-700 flash, carbon fiber tripod and ball head, case and extra batteries and memory cards and your at $2000.

However, in your case, I would suggest looking at the D610 and kit lens and add the rest later. That setup is going for $2000 right now.

You have been moving up through cameras and the D610 will stick with you for at least some time and you can focus on adding lenses and other accessories over the next five years.

Subscribe to the Adobe CC Photographer package (Lightroom and Photoshop).

I'm a Canon shooter, and therefore recommend a T5i camera body with one or two lenses.

In particular, the 'bundle' deal at B&H is a fantastic deal, in my opinion.
Canon EOS Rebel T5i DSLR Camera with 18-135mm STM Lens Video Kit

When I made the transition to an DSLR from higher-end point and shoot camera, I went with a similar Canon body and the 18-135mm lens rather than the standard 'kit' 18-55mm lens. I found the 18-135 a very capable lens for everything from 'wide enough' for most interior shooting and 'long enough' to handle most outdoor shooting, all in one lens.

While there are countless camera 'bundle' options and dealers available, most of them, particularly ebay and Amazon, have mostly lower quality 'extras' and one or more totally useless filters, and/or less than useless screw-on 'macro' or 'telephoto' adapters. The kit deal from B&H has quality components, although I have no idea about the shoulder support. They also offer the same camera and lens with fewer bundle items but throw in an unnecessary UV filter. They also offer a 2-lens bundle version that I'd avoid mostly because of the 'need' to carry a second lens as well as the image quality of the 18-135 is better than those lenses, in my opinion.

Note: I am not an employee, representative, or part owner, past or present of B&H Photo Video. I'm a very satisfied customer of this reputable dealer. And by the way, stay with reputable dealers, not the 'fantastic price' websites that use bait-and-switch and/or high-pressure 'upgrade' tactics and may deliver weeks later, if at all.

Oh...and add the 'extras' like a tripod, external flash, etc, after you've gotten accustomed to your gear and find a need for the extras.

A similar set up in Canon speak would be the Canon 70d with its 18-135 stm kit, a 50mm f1.8 stm with tamron 70-300mm vc . Include flashgun tripod and an sd card with bag and accessories as above.
My first DSLR was a Rebel. And soon after I learn more about photography and camera gears in general, I do not like the way it works in entry level DSLR cameras. In order to change some settings, I need to do it via the menu system. So I upgraded my camera to the next step up that include top display and control as well as 2 wheels system (for control). And that made my life easier.

So that is one of the main difference between entry level DSLR and prosumer or professional camera body. However, prosumer and pro camera body weight is usually heavier.

I also started with a Canon Rebel
the XXD models offer a few more features
but it's the lens that makes more of a difference

My normal response is the Nikon D5500 and kit lens. Add an SB-700 flash, carbon fiber tripod and ball head, case and extra batteries and memory cards and your at $2000.

However, in your case, I would suggest looking at the D610 and kit lens and add the rest later. That setup is going for $2000 right now.

You have been moving up through cameras and the D610 will stick with you for at least some time and you can focus on adding lenses and other accessories over the next five years.

Subscribe to the Adobe CC Photographer package (Lightroom and Photoshop).
I was reading that with faster lenses (the 35mm f1.8 for instances), the D5300 has a 'back focusing' issue with no way to adjust short of sending back to the factory. Is this issue present in the D5500?

1. It's like buying a car the main thing is having an idea how much you want to spend.
  2. Have a look at what some camera shops are offering in the way of deals theres always deals offered by Canon and Nikon Im sure other brands two.
  3. Having seen whats out there that suites your budget google them for reviews plus online prices.
  4. Post here for help/more advice, mention what deals your looking at what comes in the deal.
  5. If you decide to go with a camera shop offer haggle with them for extras, case, memory cards etc.
  6. I don't know what its like in the states but 400 to say 550 euro would get a good camera for a beginner with some extras in

Actually the correct way of chosing a camera (or a car etc) is knowing what you NEED (well, or want) and chosing the model of camera (car etc) thats closest to your needs. Even if only a part of your budget is spent.

Since a beginner in photography doesnt know what they need, they'll have a hard time chosing.

Thus a general camera that can do anything will probably always the best choice. The ideal choice would probably getting an older used semi-pro or pro body that didnt saw too much use already - they get the best of both worlds, great control and relatively low price. They will just have to dial down on newer features like lifeview and video.

Actually the correct way of chosing a camera (or a car etc) is knowing what you NEED (well, or want) and chosing the model of camera (car etc) thats closest to your needs. Even if only a part of your budget is spent.

Since a beginner in photography doesnt know what they need, they'll have a hard time chosing.

Thus a general camera that can do anything will probably always the best choice. The ideal choice would probably getting an older used semi-pro or pro body that didnt saw too much use already - they get the best of both worlds, great control and relatively low price. They will just have to dial down on newer features like lifeview and video.

Always with the negative waves :rolleyes:. The OP did actually mention he was looking thinking of dslrs. What you don't need as a beginner is to be shelled from afar with technical stuff and bluster that they invariably are when posting up for advice on here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back