Please help with lens selection

I guess it depends on the photographer, but once I've seen IQ from 70-200 f/2.8 I would never come back to 55-250 doesn't matter how big it is or how heavy. I still take my 70-200 to all my hiking trips and this isn't a very light lens to carry around and shoot handheld for an entire day, just because I can't let that IQ go.

I'm sure I'd feel the same way after my upgrade to 70-200mm lens!

I would not go with the 55-250. Not only is it severely lacking in image quality and build quality, its focal range is not very good for a "walkaround" lens. You usually want something there that can do wide and telephoto, like a 17-55 or 24-105. Plus, when you compare the photos with those from the 70-200, you will magically get stronger. ;)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

TheBiles what I meant was the 55-250 along with the Tamron 17-50 2.8 to take on everyday outings with my daughter.

The tamron is great value, as is the 55-250mm. You will find this pair very flexible. You don't have to spend thousands to enjoy photography and take some nice shots. You can upgrade in time if you feel the need to, you may find what you have is more than adequate for your needs

I would not go with the 55-250. Not only is it severely lacking in image quality and build quality, its focal range is not very good for a "walkaround" lens. You usually want something there that can do wide and telephoto, like a 17-55 or 24-105. Plus, when you compare the photos with those from the 70-200, you will magically get stronger. ;)

TheBiles what I meant was the 55-250 along with the Tamron 17-50 2.8 to take on everyday outings with my daughter.

Gotcha! I still think you're going to be blown away by the 70-200 in comparison, though. You might want to look a the f/4 version, which is tiny in comparison. I just got one myself, and I'm amazed with the difference.

Sounds like the 70-200mm f/2.8 will do the job for most of your needs. As far as macro, get the 100mm f/2.8. If you have the extra cash get the "L" version. Also pick up a flash. The Canon 580EXII is going out of production so maybe you might be able to catch one on sale. Hope that helps. Let us know what you end up getting.

Most reactions

Back