please help with lens!!!!

rangek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first post, so hello everyone!
I am looking to purchase a DSLR to use for 2 purposes:

1. I buy & sell houses, so I will be taking pics of the completed properties, and need something with a really wide angle so I can show the entire bath, kitchen, etc.

2. getting into the photgraphy hobby

So here's my question...I was looking at the D40X and wanted to purchase some great lenses without spending a fortune, so

1. do i need a fisheye, or just a wide angle for my #1 need above, and
2. whats a great first lens for general use....nature, portraits, digiscoping (i have a Swaro ats-80hd with a 20-60x), etc.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!

I would think if you are using it for real estate, you would want to stay away from a fish eye, else the picture is going to be quite distorted. I would think that you would want something rather wide though, maybe a 10-20mm sigma or something like that.

General all around lens .... everyone should have a nice fast 50mm and I really like the Sigma 24-70 as a decent zoom lens.

For portraits, I would say a nice prime lens like a 70 or 85mm with a max aperture of 2.8 or better.

Hi and welcome!

I wouldn't recommend a fisheye for real estate because you wouldn't want to advertise that your houses look bent. ;)

For a first lens that won't break the budget, I suggest you get the 18-70mm f3.5-4 AF-S... it's classified as a kit lens but really is a good, sharp lens for the money. It has a little distortion at either extremities but if you don't shoot it all the way down to 18mm or up to 70mm (70mm isn't bad at all really) you are good.

I would also suggest you get the Sb 800 flash for the ability to fire off camera and the guide number. You can use the extra power in some of the larger rooms.

mike

Welcome to the forum.

Most digital SLR cameras have sensors that are slightly smaller than 35mm film. This makes it harder to capture a really wide angle. Even at 17mm, you might have a hard time getting a really wide shot.

It's not impossible to get a wider view, I would suggest something in the 10-12 mm range. I'm not sure what Nikon has to offer, but there are lenses available for that camera from Tamron, Sigma & Tokina.

As for an all around lens, I'd suggest something in the 17-50 range or something similar.

Thanks for the fast replies. Am i making a good choice with the d40x or is the d80 much better?

My budget for lens & camera is around 1500-2000, I want something that wont be outdated in 12 months, and want to stick with canon or nikon.

Thanks for the fast replies. Am i making a good choice with the d40x or is the d80 much better?

My budget for lens & camera is around 1500-2000, I want something that wont be outdated in 12 months, and want to stick with canon or nikon.

Actually, I just found the "search".....and found some nikon vs. canon threads, but if anyone has a specific recomendation for this price range, i'll take it

Don't worry yourself with Nikon vs Canon...they are both very very good.

As far as the D40x vs the D80...I'm not up to speed on that. I know that the D40x is pretty good upgrade from the D40. There are some lens compatibility issues with the D40(x) so I'd look into that. The D80 is a higher level body but that doesn't mean the images will be any better.

As with most anything, it would be helpful to get your hands on them before making a choice. Go into a camera store and hold the different models. Maybe include the Canon Rebel XTi and 30D. Get the one that feels best in your hands.

Ok, I've decided on the camera....Nikon d80

A final question...how much wider a field of view will I get using the 10-20 sigma lens vs the canon a520 that im using now....i dont know how to compare the two...the specs for the canon are here

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05020101canona520.asp

When comparing lenses...they usually refer back to '35mm (film) equivalent. The specs for this camera are --- 35 - 140 mm equiv.

When comparing the D80, you need to apply the 'crop factor' to get back to 35mm equivalent. The factor for Nikon cameras is 1.5.

So a 10-20mm lens would be equivalent to 15mm to 30mm...that's pretty wide.

The 'standard' length lenses for that camera start at 18mm, which is equivalent to 27mm.

So if the A520 was wide enough for you...then you shouldn't need an ultra wide angle like the 10-20mm...a 'regular' lens (18-135 etc.) would be good enough.

When comparing lenses...they usually refer back to '35mm (film) equivalent. The specs for this camera are --- 35 - 140 mm equiv.

When comparing the D80, you need to apply the 'crop factor' to get back to 35mm equivalent. The factor for Nikon cameras is 1.5.

So a 10-20mm lens would be equivalent to 15mm to 30mm...that's pretty wide.

The 'standard' length lenses for that camera start at 18mm, which is equivalent to 27mm.

So if the A520 was wide enough for you...then you shouldn't need an ultra wide angle like the 10-20mm...a 'regular' lens (18-135 etc.) would be good enough.

No, the A520 isnt even close to cutting it, hence the Nikon purchase!!

Is there any way to convert the 15mm to 30mm of the lense to an actual field of view size, like saying at 10mm(15mm equiv) you will be able to capture X feet across at a distance of X feet?

Sigma 10-22mm
Angle of View 102.4 - 63.8°

If you know your geometry, you should be able to figure out an actual size at a set distance.

*edit*
Since I'm a nice guy...I did a quick sketch up. At 10' from the camera, shooting at 10mm focal length...you should be able to capture an area about 15 and a half feet wide...that's if the edges of the frame are also 10 feet away. If you are shooting a flat wall at 10 feet away...you would be able to get about 25 feet of the wall into the photo.

Keep in mind that there is a fair amount of barrel distortion at these wide focal length...but you can use software to 'flatten' it out.

Sigma 10-22mm
Angle of View 102.4 - 63.8°

If you know your geometry, you should be able to figure out an actual size at a set distance.

*edit*
Since I'm a nice guy...I did a quick sketch up. At 10' from the camera, shooting at 10mm focal length...you should be able to capture an area about 15 and a half feet wide...that's if the edges of the frame are also 10 feet away. If you are shooting a flat wall at 10 feet away...you would be able to get about 25 feet of the wall into the photo.

Keep in mind that there is a fair amount of barrel distortion at these wide focal length...but you can use software to 'flatten' it out.

You the man...thank you....

Most reactions

Back