Please provide constructive criticism for my photographs - newbie

rabbitluver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a newbie photographer and am looking to improve my technique. Please provide some constructive criticism as to how I can improve my exposure/composition. I own a Nikon D5000 with a starter kit lens (Nikon DX, AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm lens, 1:3.5 - 5.6G)

Waterfall at Queen Elizabeth Park by justina.lam.01, on Flickr

Tulips at Queen Elizabeth Park by justina.lam.01, on Flickr

This one isn't really nature related but I decided to add it anyways:

Ice Wine Tasting by justina.lam.01, on Flickr

Thank you so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it!

You have a very nice eye for what you want to capture. Why did you choose to use such a high aperture for the tulip photo? A smaller aperture would have shortened the DOF to just the tulip that was your main focus and would have aided in your composition.
You chose shutter priority on the waterfall and it turned out nice because of it.
The last one is shot in auto. You've also really wacked the composition on it. Your horizon is tilted, you have cut off the glasses in favor of the server's belly.

The water in the first shot is lost in the background. A different angle would be better and a little slower shutter speed.

A closer shot of the flowers (or angle) to remove the white sky background. A little over exposed.

Need the glass stems ... cut out the person ... remember, it is about the wine and drinking of such.

1. Use a tripod, ND/polarizing filter and a wider aperture to darken the sky and allow you to use a longer exposure time. The water will look much smoother. Good composition though.
2. as stated before, lower f stop for less dof will isolate the daisy better. Also get that flower out of the foreground lower left. it is distracting from the subject.
3. Would have been nice to catch during the pour, also make sure to always pay attention to what you are seeing in the viewfinder. Slanted does not work for this shot. Pay attention to the composition and slant when you are taking the photo, and you don't have to crop and correct as much in PP.

Most reactions

Back