Steph

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking for a box camera (Kodak Brownie type) with the following features:

- Very simple lens
- Camera that uses 120 film
- Camera that takes square pictures (6x6 cm or 2.25x2.25 in)
- Non-collectible (I want to use it and it has to be cheap)

Any suggestion?

Edit: oh yes! Although I don't want a collectible camera, I put this thread in the collector's corner as people hanging around here are more likely to have suggestions.

You could get a real Kodak Brownie (why get that "type" if that is what you want?) for anywhere from $5.00 - $15.00 on eBay

You could get a real Kodak Brownie (why get that "type" if that is what you want?) for anywhere from $5.00 - $15.00 on eBay

I would, but I cannot find a Brownie that shoots square images on 120 film (do they exist at all?). I have a Brownie that shoots 2.25 x 3.25 in negs (on 120 film) but I cannot find a lab that would actually print that size of negs (most labs only print from 6x4.5, 6x6 and 6x7 negs). Moreover I would prefer square pictures.

Brownie Hawkeye Flash shoots square images.. that's what I got from my grandma. I'm still working on the first roll though. It's about as simple as it gets. Align image in viewfinder, press the shutter... no adjustments or anything. Tons on ebay, starting at 99¢.

Only thing about them, they were designed for 620 film, but that's the same size film as 120, just a smaller diameter spool. You just need to use a 620 spool on the take-up side. The 120 spool will work fine on the feed side. Just make sure you either switch the film back to the 120 spool before you send the film out for processing (in total darkness) or request your 620 spool back. Or if you're processing it yourself, make sure you don't toss it since 120 spools won't fit on the take-up end.

Last edited:
^ Good suggestion!

Also:

• Kodak Duaflex (although it's a TLR) 6x6 on 620 film
  • ADOX 66 (hard to find though)
  • Anscoflex (TLR)
  • Argoflex (TLR)
  • Spartus 120 Flash
  • Tower Snappy
That's all I can think of.

Brownie Hawkeye Flash shoots square images.. that's what I got from my grandma. I'm still working on the first roll though. It's about as simple as it gets. Align image in viewfinder, press the shutter... no adjustments or anything. Tons on ebay, starting at 99¢.

Only thing about them, they were designed for 620 film, but that's the same size film as 120, just a smaller diameter spool. You just need to use a 620 spool on the take-up side. The 120 spool will work fine on the feed side. Just make sure you either switch the film back to the 120 spool before you send the film out for processing (in total darkness) or request your 620 spool back. Or if you're processing it yourself, make sure you don't toss it since 120 spools won't fit on the take-up end.

Thanks. I will look into those. I wanted to avoid the hassle of re-spooling and that is why I specified 120 film as opposed to 620. This might an option though if I cannot find anything else.

^ Good suggestion!

Also:

• Kodak Duaflex (although it's a TLR) 6x6 on 620 film
  • ADOX 66 (hard to find though)
  • Anscoflex (TLR)
  • Argoflex (TLR)
  • Spartus 120 Flash
  • Tower Snappy
That's all I can think of.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am off to Google and eBay to see what they look like.

There is also the Zeiss Ikon box tengor 54/2, granted yeah it is a collectable and might be a bit tough to locate but it is all metal and can take a beating so useing it properly won't hurt it. I bought one for 6USD at a local antiques dealer. After a quick check there are some available on e-bay currently, one I saw was at ten bucks.

*EDIT*
If you are curious

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There is also the Zeiss Ikon box tengor 54/2, granted yeah it is a collectable and might be a bit tough to locate but it is all metal and can take a beating so useing it properly won't hurt it. I bought one for 6USD at a local antiques dealer. After a quick check there are some available on e-bay currently, one I saw was at ten bucks.

*EDIT*
If you are curious

Beautiful camera but I would prefer 6x6 negs. The Tengor shoots 6x9 negs.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What about an Ensign Ful-Vue, easy to find, even in Steventon :D

Or the Ful-Vue Super, although I've not seen one of those except in adverts. The basic Ful-Vue's were very common in the UK, I can remember our neighbours daughter using one.

Ian

What about an Ensign Ful-Vue, easy to find, even in Steventon :D

Or the Ful-Vue Super, although I've not seen one of those except in adverts. The basic Ful-Vue's were very common in the UK, I can remember our neighbours daughter using one.

Ian

Yep. When looking on eBay I came across the Ful-Vue and they would fit the bill (and I like their unusual look). I was outbid at the last minute on one of them yesterday but they are plenty and they are dirt cheap. This is a brilliant suggestion! I believe the Ful-Vue Super uses 620 film so I'll go with the basic model.

The Super came out in 1954, so I think would use 120, like the basic model. You sometimes see Ful-Vue's on the shelves in charity shops, not sure if you have any in Steventon, (my sister liver there for a few years).

Just remember that all those simple cameras relied on the wide latitude of films like Verichrome Pan.

Ian

Most reactions

Back