please share all opinions and advice

The 2 new ones are much better but they are underexposed and don't have enough contrast. Also, I would prefer cropping them a bit looser.

the two new ones look set up IMO, i mean, they probably were, and thats what you might have intended, but im not a really big fan of shots where the models were obviously being told what to do. just my 2 cents.

okay yeah i know i need to edit....these are completely raw images....i have no photo editing software at the time...i guess i am wanting more critique on focus, depth of field, and so forth......i did not crop any of these images....that's how i shot them in the viewfinder

I am pretty new too so take my CC with a few grains of salt.

The last two are way too dark, if they were done in RAW you can probably save them with a bit of PP, whatever program you have to view your RAW images should have a few options for adjustments?

Not sure if you are doing this but instead of posting every new picture you take, go out and take a couple of hundred and whittle it down to your best (fav) few and then post those. That way you can do some experimentation on your own and learn the different settings on your camera.

good luck!!!! have fun!!!

okay yeah i know i need to edit....these are completely raw images....i have no photo editing software at the time...i guess i am wanting more critique on focus, depth of field, and so forth......i did not crop any of these images....that's how i shot them in the viewfinder

The focus and DOF are fine. However, the subjects are slightly cut off. I find that they look better when they are not cut off. A step backwards would have solved the problem.

That 2nd one is very good. Not technically, because as was pointed out, it's underexposed. If you had metered correctly, you'd have a great photo on your hands. I really think you have an eye for photography, but you just need to get the technical stuff down (which is major work, but you'll get there...)
Photoshop is necessary. I guess thats my opinion, (and can be controversial) but learn it, love it. I edited the 2nd photo, I hope you don't mind.
I'll tell you what I did, and you can research it if you feel like it
adjust levels
set curves
crop
defog
high pass filter
overlay it
merge layers
nikonsnaps439.jpg

The focus and DOF are fine. However, the subjects are slightly cut off. I find that they look better when they are not cut off. A step backwards would have solved the problem.

so what do you need to focus on when you are shooting a portrait.....i felt like a more tighter crop focuses more on the eyes....would taking a step back not take away from subject? I was also told on these images by one person they were underexposed and by another they were dark....how do you really know with black and white...what tells?....do you look at the darkest part or what?

underexposed is the same meaning as "dark".

You should learn to read your histogram.. it will help you immensly :)

That 2nd one is very good. Not technically, because as was pointed out, it's underexposed. If you had metered correctly, you'd have a great photo on your hands. I really think you have an eye for photography, but you just need to get the technical stuff down (which is major work, but you'll get there...)
Photoshop is necessary. I guess thats my opinion, (and can be controversial) but learn it, love it. I edited the 2nd photo, I hope you don't mind.
I'll tell you what I did, and you can research it if you feel like it
adjust levels
set curves
crop
defog
high pass filter
overlay it
merge layers
nikonsnaps439.jpg

thanks, i have a b-day coming up...maybe ill ask for photoshop....if i'm not mistaken, isn't it like $600.oo. I have so much to learn about editing. I can't wait to have a way to play with my images.

underexposed is the same meaning as "dark".

You should learn to read your histogram.. it will help you immensly :)

is that whats in my viewfinder....example: i set my aperture and ISO and then look in my viewfinder and adjust shutter until my camera tells me its a correct exposure?

photoshop will take you hours (or decades) to learn and the full version is around $900. Get the lightroom 2 beta and then you can buy the full version, if you like it for around $150 I think.

#'s 1 & 4 of the first set are just too busy. too much to focus your eyes on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back