Please talk me out of this...

Should I hit the "proceed to checkout" button?

• Yes!

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • No!

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Change some things first...( add comment )

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Parker219

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
View attachment 67098

I like the lens sale and I think that's a low enough price to try the sigma lens.

I really need the wide angle lens for real estate photography.

Please comment and/or vote on the poll =-)

Last edited by a moderator:
listen to me

DON"T BUY IT

FYI .. I don't see a poll. Though I do see a pole. :)

of course, on the other hand if you have the money and you need it for a job .. why not

There's no poll yet, but if you need it, get it.

Ok- added the poll. It posts the thread while you work on the poll I guess ;)

Well, I voted, so you MUST do as I say!!! Later today you will be two thousand dollars poorer, but oh-so-much-richer-in-photo-gear!

$POLL-Parker MUST buy gear.jpg

I mean, come on dude--it's 100% in FAVOR OF you buying!!!

Can you easily afford it (in other words, the purchase won't endanger your ability to meet all your current financial obligations)?

If so, then why not?

If not, then I vote no.

If the answer is "yes, I can afford it, but not spending so much would be good to" then maybe you could get the camera and one lens. Or just the two lenses, if you already have a Nikon body.
Speaking of which, what's your current gear list like?

I like the lens sale and I think that's a low enough price to try the sigma lens.

I really need the wide angle lens for real estate photography.

Well I guess you can return it or sell it on if it's not so great, but can an 18-250mm do-it-all lens really be any better at 18mm than the standard kit lens?

P520- with no raw, so anytime I need to raise the shadows or get any type of dynamic range, I cant because the jpegs are not good to edit and the sensor is small.

I think I would rather talk you INTO it.

I voted "yes'.

P520- with no raw, so anytime I need to raise the shadows or get any type of dynamic range, I cant because the jpegs are not good to edit and the sensor is small.

Okay, then I'm back at the first part of my post. If you can afford it, DO IT! You won't regret it.
But if it's just too much of a financial stretch, get the camera and one of the lenses. Easy enough to buy the other lens as soon as you've got the funds.

In fact, as soon as you click "purchase" you can just go ahead and "designate" every spare dollar you'll ever again have to photographic equipment, because life will just become one long series of lens and camera body acquisitions and upgrades. :D

Okay, then I'm back at the first part of my post. If you can afford it, DO IT! You won't regret it.
But if it's just too much of a financial stretch, get the camera and one of the lenses. Easy enough to buy the other lens as soon as you've got the funds.

In fact, as soon as you click "purchase" you can just go ahead and "designate" every spare dollar you'll ever again have to photographic equipment, because life will just become one long series of lens and camera body acquisitions and upgrades. :D

Well technically I can afford it, but I like to have savings just in case...

Plus, if I spend some of my savings, I will lose out on that 41 cents a month of interest...

Last edited:
If I am going to spend the money, should I just do THIS?!!?

View attachment 67102

ahhhhhh.....I don't know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you make some comprimises??? A D3200 will probably have all the features you need for about $500, with the same kit lens. A Nikkor 55-200 lens will be about $150.00 dollars less than the Sigma. You will have to carry around more lenses, but you will save money.

Just my $0.02 (and that may be all it's worth! :) )

Oh, one more piece of advice... Don't be pressured by a sale price, if you miss out on it, just wait a week or two there is ALWAYS another sale.

Well technically I can afford it, but I like to have savings just in case...

Plus, if I spend some of my savings, I will lose out on that 41 cents a month of interest...

View attachment 67100

Sorry if the whole "only if you can easily afford it" thing sounds too much like a mother, but….I'm a mother. Of two boys in college. One is a saver, and I never have to tell him not to spend what he can't afford. The other? Well, if he has a nickel, he'll spend a dime. :lmao:

Anyway…as to your NEW "should I just do this?" question:

I'd advise you to buy the VERY best camera body you can afford, to start with. You've been doing photography for a bit, you know the basics, so I don't think even a D610 is gonna be "too much" camera for you like it might be for a novice.
So get the most you can afford in a body right now, with the idea of not having to upgrade it for many years.

Can you afford it? Seems so.
Do you want it? Seems so.
Will you use it? Seems so.

DO IT.

Most reactions

Back