Please translate

Sorry to be obtuse but could you explain crop factor?

have a good one
3Eo

Crop factor meaning the digital sensor is smaller than a frame of 35mm film. Most focal-lengths go by 35mm film so when you have a smaller digital sensor looking at a smaller area of the image in the lens this is a crop factor. this makes your image smaller therfore making your lens effecively smaler. I hope you understand my gibberish I'm not sure this answers your original question though.

Otter, (I've wanted to call somebody that since Animal house came out :)), I think they mean that the lens is not three feet long and sixty pounds. In other words you can use it as you would a regular lens.

mike

Hey Guys,

so the statement means that w/a dSLR and that lens you get more zoom?!

have a good one
3Eo

With a Dslr that has a crop factor, yes.

Well, my D40x does have a nice little crop factor.

Ok, next question. I am wanting to purchase a macro lens: that Nikon 105mm jobber. W/my dSLR having a crop factor would I be getting more macro for my buck?

have a good one
3Eo

so the statement means that w/a dSLR and that lens you get more zoom?!

Not really, although it can appear that way. What it really means is that with a DSLR (smaller format) you get less angle of view. When you enlarge a photo from 35mm to 8x12, and a photo from APS-C to 8x12, the photo from APS-C will appear to be more zoomed in, but in reality it has just been enlarged more. You would get the same from cropping the shot from 35mm, and enlarging it to 8x12.

Think of what would happen if you set up a slide or movie projector to fill a particular sized screen. Then switch out the screen for a smaller one without making any changes to the position of the projector. The smaller screen would only display a cropped center portion of whatever you were projecting. What is being projected is not really any larger.

W/my dSLR having a crop factor would I be getting more macro for my buck?

No. Macros are rated by their magnification rating. 1:1 for the 105mm lense means that everything that is 1cm in real life will be projected 1cm across the sensor. This does not change with the crop factor. At full zoom you are not getting more macro. You need to think of the word crop factor very literally. You are getting the old 35mm image with the middle 0.66x portion cropped.

If you are talking about enlargements that would be to do with the resolution on the sensor, more megapixels = more macro for the buck, but also it shows up more lens defects.

It's a shame that there are uneducated sales people working in retail stores that sell cameras. As stated above, The crop factor narrows the angle of view it does not zoom in any closer. It appears to because of the narrow angle of view. If you take a picture of a person using a focal length of 200mm with a full size sensor camera (no crop factor) and take the same shot on a camera with a crop factor, The ONLY real difference is that the image taken on the full size sensor will have a wider angle of view. The size of the person will be the same in both images. You will have more area around the person in the shot from the camera without the crop factor. The angle of view is being confused with magnification by some.

Most reactions

Back