Plese help: "Error Press shutter release button again"

Ceridan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!

I got a not-so-much used D3100 from a relative of mine, but when I try to make a photo, I receive the infamous "Error! Press shutter release button again" message.

- I can't take photos with a lens attached (tried different lenese).
- I can't switch camera to the live view mode (the same error).
- Automatic focusing works.
- But! I can use the mirror lockup option in the menu and the camera correctly raises the mirror and the sensor is shown.
- The mirror moves normally and the shutter looks undamaged.
- I can make photos when there is no lens attached! They are even written to the SD card. Well, very artistic, but not the thing I aim for :)
- Battery is fully charger.
- Camera have been reset.

Could you help, please? The camera is no longer covered by the warranty.
(Btw, I know how to handle a Nikon camera (got three).)

There could be a issue with the lens causing this error since you can snap a pic without the lens I am guessing that might be the problem but if you have the same issue with more than one lens I guess it might not the be the issue.

could be a dirty gear on the shutter release motor sticking, to check that you need to turn the camera upside down and take out some screws till the bottom plate of the camera comes off, and you should see a gear sticking out after you remove the bottom cover and than you can clean the gear or lube it. someone I know did that and fixed the problem.

try a lens off one of your other three nikons, and try that lens on one of the other ones and see what happens.

Most reactions

Back