Plese help me understand "some" of the basics in lighting...

tigidig4x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys! I am again back in this forum, last time, i asked how i could sell my photos.. But i seem cant still find a way to market my photos.. And since, i never tried to do a portraiture with lights, im giving it a shot right now.. (Im really interested in it too)

I just want to ask what is the purpose of shutter speed in the picture? I shoot the shutter speed up, but it seems nothing changes in the exposure of my photo, same way if i shoot it down. Also the aperture, what are the other effects of aperture in flash photography aside from depth of field, and exposure?

I also know how to set the the camera flash output and speedlite flash output like 1/6, 1/128.. I always mix and mix and experiment with them until i get the desired exposure i want. Please anybody tell me if i am still in the right track? I also learn the basics of light positions... just basic not those complicated ones..

And i only use 1 speedlite (320 EX II) and my camera built in flash. Since i still don't have the right equipment, i pinch the best i can get of what i have right now. I use my speedlite flash wireless, and set both the build in flash and speedlite output which i am enjoying it too.

But what really bothers me is the aperture and shutter speed i cant seem still to fully understand their functions. Specially the shutter speed. Please clarify me on this and give me some advice to learn and advance as a portrait photographer. I try to find some articles or tutorials about these things but i cant seem to find one. I always find those tutorials like lighting positions but not manual settings...

Also, currently i am reading Strobist - Lighting 101 article which helped me too alot, to have a grip on this one.. Hopefully could also learn a lot from here, thanks so much guys! I love this hobby! \m/ :):):)

Not trying to dismiss your question, but I think any explanation you’d get here would already be available on the strobist blog. Maybe it’d be better if you study the blog, take some practice shots based on what you learn, then come here for an interactive dissection of your results.

Read the Strobist "cover to cover" and as well, invest the ~$35 in the lighting bible. Between those two resources you will have all you need to learn more than you ever wanted to know about lighting. To quickly answer a couple of your questions: Shutter speed has little impact on flash photography, since normally the bulk of the light for the exposure is provided by the flash, which is affected by the aperture. Next time, try adjusting your aperture while leaving the flash at the same output and see how things change. As for exposure, trial and error is one way, you can also use the flash's guide number (GN) to help you estimate more closely, or, best of all, buy a flash meter.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back