DjBeau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bobrinch.dk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I'm looking to buy an external hard drive that can be plugged into my camera when I'm travelling - when shooting RAW a memory card won't get you very far.
I've been Googling it but all I can find is some storage drives with screens. I don't want that! It's not robust enough - I want it simple: just a hard drive, nothing fancy.
Does this actually exist? Is there a hard drive that can be plugged into the camera and just copy all images from the memory card or MUST there be a menu and therefore a screen on the device to do so? And if there must does any of you know of a good, robust one?

Best regards
Bo

There are CF drives out there, and they are supported by some manufacturers. Personally I would get a stack of 2 or 4 gig cards - or if money is not a problem slide a 16 gig card in there and shoot em up.

Of course since I do not know what camera or card type you are using this is a shot in the dark.

-Shea

Oh, forgot to write that I'm shooting on Nikon D80 with SD cards.
Buying a lot of cards? Nah, it's too expensive in my country and I would prefer a hard drive.

So still looking for guidance if anyone can give some advice :wink:

Hi
I've been Googling it but all I can find is some storage drives with screens. I don't want that! It's not robust enough - I want it simple: just a hard drive, nothing fancy.

Why do you think a screen means the storage (they are called image tanks) are not robust enough? There are two types... first type (the more expensive) has an screen to preview the images stored. Second type has a LCD screen just to show status.

Does this actually exist? Is there a hard drive that can be plugged into the camera and just copy all images from the memory card or MUST there be a menu and therefore a screen on the device to do so? And if there must does any of you know of a good, robust one?

A hard drive that plugs into your camera does not exist. What does exist is an image tank... which is essentially a hard drive with a built in card reader. You plug in a card and push a button and it copies the contents of the card to the internal hard disk. These will also have a display showing the status of the image tank.

BTW..

Hard disks have internal moving parts
SD cards do not... they are solid state memory.

solid state memory is generally more robust... even though I find SD cards themselves a bit fragile.

I have two image tanks. Epson P2000 and Wolverine 40GB. The Wolverine is inexpensive with just a status LCD screen. It works although I'm not 100% happy with it. The Epson P2000 keeps me happier but in general the Epson Image tanks (I think they are up to the P5000 now) are expensive.

the biggest issue I have with image tanks in general is battery power.

Why do I expect a screen equals fragility? Well, actually I don't know. I guess it's because I'm oldfashioned in the way that I want things to be simple - for example I hate that all mobile phones have cameras and mp3 player and so on. More things stuffed into an electronic device = more things that can break.

But I guess a screen is needed to see the status. I'm gonna look for an image tank then (is that the actual sommon term for the device?).
Thanks! :wink:

A hard drive that plugs into your camera does not exist.

FYI - Maybe not an SD version, but a CF HDD would fit in MY camera. Moving parts, slower access, its not gunna happen.

-S

I was in a similar situation when i went to Italy. I didn't want to buy tons of CF cards, nor did I want to have to take my computer to dump pictures on.

I bought a little 80 GB hard drive that is batter powered (or AC adapter) that I could plug my CF card into to dump pictures. It took about 2 mintues to dump the 4 GB card filled with RAW pictures. Worked like a charm and was easy to carry around.

Unfortunately, I haven't used it in 6 months and have forgotten who made it or where I got it! When I get home I'll try to find it and give you a link.

Archos do a great range of hard drives I have a 60GB drive and use it weekly to download from my Canon camera. You can create folders etc and then just plug into your laptop or desktop to back up.

FYI - Maybe not an SD version, but a CF HDD would fit in MY camera. Moving parts, slower access, its not gunna happen.

-S

I don't believe the OP was referring to CF type II Microdrives (often marketed under IBM name brand). The microdrives were designed as a lower cost alternative to solid state compact flash media cards during a time when 4GB would have cost you 400-500 bucks. They are increasingly loosing popularity because of there slower performance, less robustness (moving parts, and solid state memory getting cheaper.

The OP mentioned an "external" hard disk which doesn't fall under the Microdrives criteria.

Again... you have three choices. 1) more memory cards 2) image tanks 3) Laptop.

#1 being the most convenient. #3 being the least convenient but "cheapest capacity". #2 being a happy middle.

I picked up a Zen Data Pool for my recent trip to China. It's made by LG. You buy the case and then purchase a laptop hard drive seperately. It has 2 very small LCD screens for the menus but no big viewing screen. Runs on internal battery or AC (220 or 110). Accepts CF, SD, and several others.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back