Plustek 7400 vs Epson v500

Track

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, I need a scanner mainly for slides and negatives, but also for photos.

That's why I wanted to get the Epson v500.

But then I realized I could get the Plustek Opticfilm 7400 for a similar price.

From what I see, the Plustek is supposed to be a professional, dedicated film/negative scanner.

So, what do you guys think - the Plustek is better, right?

First off a disclaimer... I work for Plustek. But I also own a V600 and and Plustek OpticFilm 7600i Ai. The 7600i Ai is the same hardware as the 7400 except that 7600i has infrared dust and scratch removal.

The V600 is a good scanner. I use it for 120 film. But the OpticFilm scanners give sharper and more contrasty images when scanning 35mm film. There is nothing wrong with the Epson scanners, but if you demand high quality images at a reasonable price, you should consider a Plustek OpticFilm scanner or other dedicated film scanner.

If you need more info, PM me or send me an email markdruziak at plustek.com

I wouldn't have said that the Plustek is a professional class scanner, but it certainly looks very good for the price. If you want a fairly unbiased review, look here for the Plustek 7600i and here for the V600. Summarising their resolution tests: the 7600i achieves 3250 dpi resolution at the 7200 spi setting and 2600 dpi at the 3600 spi setting. This compares with only 1560 dpi for the V600 at either 3200 spi or 6400 spi settings. If you are only scanning 35 mm and have no desire to scan prints or medium format film then the Plustek looks like the obvious choice. I haven't used either of these scanners, but I have used a few other scanners that they have tested and I agree with their findings.

If you want to look at other scanners I suggest a used Minolta Dimage Elite 5400, although they are getting old (if you can find the software for your operating system). I have two of them, along with a few other scanners, and they have proved to be capable of very high quality scans, better than my Nikon 5000 in some cases.

Best,
Helen

Helen, there is more to it than resolution. As it turns out, I also own an Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV. Resolution wise, the Plustek and the Minolta are very similar. However, the Plustek beats the Minolta when it comes to shadow detail, color accuracy. The color can be adjusted in post, but I've never had great luck with the shadow detail from the Minolta. The V600 actually does better with shadows than the Minolta I have. If the OP is interested in a Minolta...PLEASE buy the one I'm selling on eBay!!!! It really is a capable scanner.

The V500/600 will work for 35mm and you won't get bad images. However, you will get better images when you use a dedicated film scanner when scanning 35mm. I think i really boils down to what quality level you require.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back