Pocket Wizards - US vs. Canada

guitarmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm really interested in off-camera lighting, and would love to work wirelessly.

Everyone says Pocket Wizards are the way to go. I've heard too many bad stories about the eBay wireless transmitters to go near them, I think.

I've also heard some good things about the Elinchrom Skyport system, which is available to me (as I'm in Canada).

However, the industry standard is PWs, and for a reason I suppose. So I'm looking into getting a set of 3 PW II transceivers. However, there is something I don't really understand.

If I go to my local store here in Edmonton (Big Mike knows what I'm talking about), ONE PW II transceiver will run me $389 CDN, plus tax = $412. Multiply that by three, and I'm looking at over $1200.

If I buy from an eBay store or seller (or a US-based store that will ship to Canada), I can get them for as little as $600 CDN (plus shipping) = $630, give or take. For ALL THREE transceivers.

My third and other option is three Elinchrom units for about $450 plus shipping.

I understand that there are radio laws (or something) that differ between US and Canada - I'm assuming this might be the reason the cost is so astronomical in Canada. But if I buy a set of PWIIs for half the price from a US eBay seller to use in Canada, will this affect me in any way? Will it affect their usability?

Sorry for being so long-winded, but I'd like to hear what people know. Or think.

I'd order them from a US E-bay seller or B&H or Adorama. There are some different rules for these types of things between the US & Canada...but I personally wouldn't worry about it. There might be a slight issue if the Customs people poke their noses into it...but chances are that it will be OK.

Last month I ordered a bunch of stuff from B&H and saved myself a few hundred dollars.

Another option would be to find a lower price on the PWs, in Canada....and get our local store to match the price.

I think that's what I'm going to do. I've heard that certain stores in the States (namely, www.mpex.com) can't/won't ship to Canada though. If so, I'd go through eBay.

I'm a little wary on that though... I'm in the middle of a claim against a guy took my cash and never sent me my light tent. A guy with a 99.9% approval rating too. F.

Whether you buy it though E-bay or a store...I'd suggest getting it sent via the US Postal Service, rather than FedEx or UPS.

Well, FedEx and UPS may add their own brokerage charges...a fee for taking it through customs...and that fee may be quite a bit. The USPS may charge something but not nearly as much.

That has been my experience anyway.

Most reactions

Back