Pocketwizard flex & d7100 FAIL other options?

juicegoose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'll start this by first saying it is my own fault that I assumed pocketwiard TT1 and TT5 are compatible with the Nikon d7100. Now with that out of the way I'm still pissed that they this camera has been out for a while and pocketwizard still won't support it. I bought the flex TT1 and TT5 with AC3 controller so that I wouldn't have to physically go from light to light to adjust the power. NOPE the only mode that works with the camera is full on basic trigger mode which is no better then my 30 doller cowboystudio radio triggers. I'm extremly tempted to just sell the expensive junk(at least for me yes i know they work for other people) and either invest in a nikon flash with commander ability built in or just wait for the yongnuo LCD flash controller.
Currently I have a sb-600 and a yongnuo YN-560 III

Any suggestions for alternatives?

yongnuo 622n trigger. HSS and TTL compatible. works great with my D7100.

I do not know the answer to this ..
but have you tried using the internal Commander features of the d7100 ? Are the commander settings sent to the remote flashes through those particular PocketWizards ?

FYI - I use a SU-800 Commander unit to control SB-800s and SB-700s remotely. I do not use radio triggers.

Last edited:
IIRC astroNikon uses the SU-800 to control off camera flash units.
The SU-800 does not have a visible light flash head.

It takes time for 3rd party gear makers to reverse engineer gear for a recently released new camera.

IIRC astroNikon uses the SU-800 to control off camera flash units.
The SU-800 does not have a visible light flash head.

It takes time for 3rd party gear makers to reverse engineer gear for a recently released new camera.

I use this tactic as well. I run my D7000, with the miniTT1 on top, and an SU800 on top of that. And for each flash(Nikon SB600's), I have them mounted on a FlexTT5. This system works flawlessly, and allows me to simply and easily control the flash power wirelessly.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saw your post selling your gear .. I took a quick internet search ...

Nikon Compatibility - PocketWizard Wiki
Future Compatiblity

The following is the prioritized list of planned BETA firmware releases and production releases for compatibility with newly released photography gear from Nikon. Prioritization is based on when gear was received, complexity of reverse engineering and majority of users:

1. New Nikon Gear: Nikon Firmware 3.400 has added compatibility for
    • Nikon D600
    • Nikon D3200
Work continues on adding compatibility for additional Nikon cameras like the D7100, D5200, and D610.
This page will be updated when beta firmware is released and we will also post on the PocketWizard Facebook page.

<edited>

&#65121; NOTE: The D610, D7100, and D5200 are not currently supported for use with ControlTL radios with advanced features like HSS/FP-Sync, HyperSync, or TTL. These cameras can be used with Basic Trigger mode. You can read more about Basic Trigger mode here: http://wiki.pocketwizard.com/index.php?title=Misc_Tab#Basic_Trigger

<edited>

BASIC TRIGGER MODE: Almost all cameras and flashes are compatible with the MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 when the radios are configured for Basic Trigger Mode. Basic Trigger Mode disables all flash power control and TTL functions of the radios.

Thus they work like your 30 doller cowboystudio radio triggers .. until an update is available for them.

Boy that stinks

Last edited:
Ya my own fault for sure. I contacted pocketwizard and they didnt give me warm and fuzzies as to a firmware update anytime soon.

When the other gear sells im going to buy the su-800 and yn-622n triggers.

well the d600 and d3200 firmware update apparently was around June 2013
http://www.pocketwizard.com/upload/photos/322Nikon_MiniTT1FlexTT5_Release_Notes_3.400_FINAL.pdf

while the d600 itself was started shipping on Sept 18, 2012
Nikon D600 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a good 9 months

which the d7100 was released in Feb 2013 ??
so 9 months would be November ... mathematically they should have a release real soon.

but no warm and fuzzy feeling isn't good.

FYI, the SU-800 uses CR123 batteries (not AA or AAA) .. just so you know. The old camera standard.

Yup. And if that isnt bad enough im beginning to think i overpaid for the pocketwizard setup i bought.

I checked Adorama.com

TT1
retail 199
online 175

TT5
R - 229
O - 204

AC3
O - 79

Most reactions

Back