Pocketwizard settings

Diddy2theJJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just bought a Pocketwizard MiniTT1 and a FlexTT5. They look pretty awesome from what I have read and seen. I only had a little bit of time to try them out on my lunch break today but I had to give them a shot.

A couple of questions....I tried using it in my studio and was hoping to use the 580EXII as a backlight and my strobe/softbox for my key. My strobe is triggered by any other flash so I thought this would work but it didn't seem to be working correctly. So I'm wondering if this has something to do with when it fires compared to the 580EXII? Is this adjustable in the utility?

Another thing I wanted to try out was using the FlexTT5 to trigger my strobe. It's not a pocketwizard strobe, and from what I understand you can put it in "Basic Trigger Mode" to use with other cameras and devices. But it says not to enable this with a compatible Canon camera....which I do have. Is there a certain way I can use this to trigger my strobe?

If I understand correctly you were triggering the 580 with the pocket wizard and the strobe was the slave.
Make sure the 580 is in manual so that it doesn't send out a preflash. I had a a heck of a time getting slaves to work until someone told me what was going on. Your 580 emits a pre flash to determine what flash is needed. The preflash fires the slaves prematurely and you don't get it in the picture. Almost impossible to tell with the naked eye too because it is so quick.
Hope that helps.

That was it! I'm glad that works now, but unfortunately I can't control the output of the flash via the camera.

I'm pretty new to using off camera flashes so I'm really trying to learn the best methods for all of these processes so when I have a client in front of me it will be a quick adjustment!

Any suggestions about a good studio setup? Can I get another Pocketwizard to trigger my strobes rather than use a 580EXII with an umbrella? Which one would be good to use with the two I have already (MiniTT1 and Flex TT5). Thanks!

USe your flash compensation setting on your camera. That will tell the PW to dial back the power of all the flashes it controls.

FYI - PW is releasing a command unit for the Mini TT1 very soon that will sit on top of it and allow group ratios, etc.

CxThree, you can't dial the power back when the 580EXII is in manual though can you?

Is there any way I can hook my FlexTT5 up to a strobe light? While I'm in the studio, I'd like to be able to use it on that as well as using it on the 580EXII when I'm outside the studio. I'm not sure if I have to purchase the PocketWizard Plus II in order to hook it up a strobe light. Thanks!

Correct. Sorry. I notice that you ahve it in manual mode. I am use to using the flex and mini in TTL. In manual mode, you have to do the power reduction within the 580 EXII itself.

Most reactions

Back