Pocketwizards or Nikon CLS?

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Forgive my ignorance but I have been trying to find some information regarding off camera flash systems.

I currently have a sb600 and a d7000. I use the commander mode a lot but sometimes have to use my triggers (flash is behind me or out of the built-in flash range). I'm looking to get 2-3 more flashes. For my location shooting. I think it's the easiest, most portable option. But I'm open to suggestions.

SO, I am looking for some info on what I should use to trigger 3-4 off camera flashes. Pocketwizards seem nice but are expensive. I know nikon has a nice system too but am a little unclear on how it works.

Sorry if it's a dumb question. I have done some searching but couldn't find a straight answer.

Thanks

the nikon CLS system uses infrared light to trigger the flashes. works great in most situations, but not so great in harsh direct light as there would be interference. (also doesnt work around corners). pocketwizards or any radio triggers use... you guessed it... radio freqs to transmit data to the receiver. this kind of system has wayyy longer range than a IR system and can be used around corners. as for radio trigger suggestions, i think pocketwizards make the best ones out there, but you can check out cactus, or just type in radio triggers in ebay. i'd still go for PWs ^^

Pocketwizards are the standard that everything is trying to mimic. I purchased the $30 version in Singapore which was just a trigger, not pocketwizards. Works great as manual triggers, but you lose the iTTL functionality which is the beauty of the CLS and the pocketwizards.
I understand and can use manual flash triggering in most situations. However, when using my D700 and CLS system, I get nice pretty consistent results all the time.... up until now I have made do, and manually adjusted.
I am purchasing my pocketwizards, now that they are available for Nikons, in two weeks time....
And I can't wait !
Purchase the minimum number, and just buy more as you can afford them... would you buy cheap lenses and upgrade later ? Same question. You can do either, but I would just rather get it right first time...

Just my two cents worth.

Rich.
:)

I picked up two pocket wizards for my D7000 last night and couldn't be happier. The commander mode was nice but totally unreliable. I'll have more pocket wizards when i get back from my x-country motorcycle ride next month, even if i have to buy them new.

CLS is an infrared (IR) light optical system that has a max range of about 30 feet. The Sun produces a lot of IR and overwhelms CLS in direct sunlight to the point the usable range reduces to a couple of feet, it that.
Any optical system is also limited to line of sight, though with well placed reflective surfaces some just-around-the-corner setups will work.

CLS and Commander mode only work efficiently with Nikon speedlights.

Pocket Wizards are a radio frequency (RF) system and are not effected by sunlight, are not line-of-sight limited, and have alot more range than any optical system. Pocketwizard® - Wireless transmitters and receivers

The top of the line Pocket wizard system is the Multimax transceiver, and at $295 per transceiver you need at least 2 of them. One for the camera hot shoe and one for the OCF flash unit. You need an additional Multimax usit for each additional light.
PocketWizard PW-MMAX 802-450 MultiMAX Transceiver (Black)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It should be mentioned that you can get the best of both worlds....TTL functionality and radio communication...but it's not cheap. There is a product call the Radio Popper. It's a system that piggybacks your built-in CLS system and uses radio. The problem is that you need to already have all the CLS (or Canon E-TTL) parts in place...and then you add a Radio Popper unit on the master and on each slave. Supposedly works great...it just a lot of stuff to buy.

Pocket Wizard is working on a radio TTL system. The Canon version has been out for a year or more, Nikon was supposed to follow shortly...but the Canon version ran into all sorts of problems because the flash units create their own radio interference, which messes up the triggers. Their 'solution' was to sell people a 'sock' to shield their flash's interference...looks pretty stupid.

So for you, the solution is probably going to be manual triggers. The Pocket Wizard Plus II is the industry standard and works great. It's got a max range (in good conditions) of 1600 feet. But they are expensive, especially when you need 4 or 5 of them.

I went with the Cyber Sync system from Alien Bee. It's a simple radio trigger and it works really well. They still aren't cheap, but they are a lot less expensive than the Pocket Wizards.

thanks for the replies everyone. I dont need a crazy range or anything like that, but the sun might be a problem. I am looking to end up with a 4-flash system for location lighting. I dont mind adjusting each one manually because i feel that its much more consistent. or can i change the power of each individual flash manually from one of these aformentioned devices? like instead of having to walk to each flash and adjust, can i just do it from the camera/hot shoe mounted device? I dont always like ittl because it changes the lighting based on where you are pointing your camera, which can be nice, but at the same time can be a pita.

It should be mentioned that you can get the best of both worlds....TTL functionality and radio communication...but it's not cheap. There is a product call the Radio Popper. It's a system that piggybacks your built-in CLS system and uses radio. The problem is that you need to already have all the CLS (or Canon E-TTL) parts in place...and then you add a Radio Popper unit on the master and on each slave. Supposedly works great...it just a lot of stuff to buy.

Pocket Wizard is working on a radio TTL system. The Canon version has been out for a year or more, Nikon was supposed to follow shortly...but the Canon version ran into all sorts of problems because the flash units create their own radio interference, which messes up the triggers. Their 'solution' was to sell people a 'sock' to shield their flash's interference...looks pretty stupid.

So for you, the solution is probably going to be manual triggers. The Pocket Wizard Plus II is the industry standard and works great. It's got a max range (in good conditions) of 1600 feet. But they are expensive, especially when you need 4 or 5 of them.

I went with the Cyber Sync system from Alien Bee. It's a simple radio trigger and it works really well. They still aren't cheap, but they are a lot less expensive than the Pocket Wizards.

I currently use the SU800 and love it, and one day i'll tack on the radio popper. This way i can still control everything with my SU800, where as pocket wizards ONLY trigger, and you have to individually go to each flash and alter it, which can be time consuming.

Regards,
Jake

Most reactions

Back