Point and Shoot Cameras

carolinajack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I, like a lot of people probably, have several point and shoot cameras laying around the house. I have a DSLR and a 35mm SLR that I shoot with and my wife just uses one of those. My question is: who uses point and shoots and for what do they use them? I am not knocking P&S cameras or their users, it's just that since I got a DSLR mine are gathering dust.

Is there something a P&S is better for than a DSLR? Obviously they (mine at least) are far cheaper than a DSLR and essentially weigh nothing. Also, they still take better pictures than the cameras on our smartphones, right?

I still use my 4 year old Sony w300. I don't currently have a smart phone so I take this camera out everytime I go anywhere without the slr whether I think I'll be using a camera or not. Still get decent enough results and with the full manual features I like it better than a smartphone.

I'm in Vegas right now, and left my DSLR's in San Diego; I only brought the G12.

I bring the G12 if I'm on a short trip that is not centered around photography (such as this current trip). I never like being without a camera, and I've never been a fan of cell phone cameras...

Before I bought my DSLR I was using the Canon S90, same sensor as the G series but much smaller body, has all the manual settings and fits in any pocket :D I would highly recommend this camera (or newer version) as good a point and shoot!

Even though its an amazing camera, once you go DSLR its hard to go back!

I would never buy a true "point and shoot" the one without manual settings..., cause my phone does that.

I keep my old Panasonic around, for when I cant take the D5100 with me.

It sucks though that I cant configure squat ... only thing I can do is setting white balance.

No exposure compensation and god forbid no Aperture etc.

I should probably get the S100 instead ...

Any situation where you want DOF is great for smaller-sensor cameras. I love my OM-D because I can shoot at f/1.7 and have the depth of field of a f/3.3 lens on my 5D. It's great in lower light where you need to shoot wide open and would like to have a DOF greater than a few millimeters. Not to mention the small size is awesome.

I have learned tons about photography since I got my DSLR and actually havent even gone back to look at what my P&S cameras have to offer. I need to do that. I just kind of assumed that some of the features weren't available on those cameras.

I have learned tons about photography since I got my DSLR and actually havent even gone back to look at what my P&S cameras have to offer. I need to do that. I just kind of assumed that some of the features weren't available on those cameras.

Ya, the awesome P&S cameras have all the manual features an SLR has, the problem I found is a workflow issue, going through the menu system to get to the features while holding the thing with 2 fingers as its too small to grip properly.

But ya, you also don't get awesome lenses and universal accessories with P&S cameras.

Another positive for P&S is something like street photography, if you don't have the balls to put an SLR up to a strangers face(something I'm working on) its like 100 times easier with a compact.

Ya, the awesome P&S cameras have all the manual features an SLR has, the problem I found is a workflow issue, going through the menu system to get to the features while holding the thing with 2 fingers as its too small to grip properly.

But ya, you also don't get awesome lenses and universal accessories with P&S cameras.

Another positive for P&S is something like street photography, if you don't have the balls to put an SLR up to a strangers face(I have this issue) its like 100 times easier with a compact.

Of course those are great points. I know that the street photography discussion has probably been had about a million times but I definitely see what you mean there and have actually never seen using a P&S as a suggestion. That could take you from being a photographer to a tourist in someones eyes. It would definitely be a lot less threatening.

I primarily use a bridge camera. I still have my manual settings and can even shoot in raw.

For me, it's just easier to have everything all in one piece. The camera bag takes up much less room and is much easier to drag everywhere. I can't afford high end camera equipment, so I have a bridge camera. Of course, it is not as good as a DSLR, but it's good enough for me.

I have a canon ae-1 and a minolta maxxum if I find myself needing to use an SLR, but the situation hasn't arisen since I bought the bridge camera.

While I have a Canon DSLR and 7-8 lenses, I use my superzoom Canon SX30 most of the time. With its 24-870mm lens, full compliment of adjustments, video capability, etc., it is a whole lot more convenient for casual shooting. Just yesterday we were in the back yard with our two grandchildren, and I was using the SX30 to take photos as they played in a wading pool, ran through the sprinkler, etc. Up close shots I can use the 24mm end of the lens, and longer lengths to get the grandson running around. With my DSLR, I'd need to be constantly changing lenses, missing opportunities. Love my DSLR but the superzoom gets more use. And my DSLR camera bag is heavy, so carrying the SX30 in its small bag is so much easier, have it with me in the car most of the time.

I used to carry a Rollei 35 (tiny 35 mm film camera with a superb lens), but recently I have been carrying a Canon S95 in my handbag (purse), and now I'm waiting for a Sony RX100 to become unlost by UPS so I can switch to that. The S95 is a good camera, remarkable for the size, and it has fairly good manual controls for stills but not for video. The only real drawback is the slight shutter lag even in full manual, which frustrates me at times. I have used it for some of my professional work, particularly when a physically small camera was more appropriate than a Nikon D3, for example. It caused some concern the first time I used it in front of a client and an art director but once they saw the results they were cool with it.

You know, Due to being on tight budget I'm going to buy a Point and Shoot camera at the start of 2013, DSLR's are still a dream for me, even in this era.

Most reactions

Back