Point and Shoot for Younger Sister

frasierfanatic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My 14 year old sister is saying that she "wants to be a photographer." I know this is a phase lots of kids go through at the site of cameras, etc. Some of us never grow out of it either :p

Parents are looking to spend in the 200-300 dollar range on a good point and shoot (digital, you know how you were when you were younger with a camera), so that she can learn a little about cameras, but they aren't heavily invested in a camera if she throws it aside for the next whim. Please Recommend your Point and Shoot here.

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Can't go wrong with a Canon Powershot.. I would argue that with the kit lens on my Nikon DSLR, the Canon takes just as good shots.. I have a Powershot A620, and I LOVE it. Will never give that camera up until it no longer works.

CubsFanMike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Canon point and shoots are great starters...for around $250 an SD790 is a great camera, and for a girl her age it is nice and small too, with a large LCD screen. I'm not so sure she would need a ton of zoom but if so, look into the Panasonic TZ5.

blowjustinup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
You can get a used Rebel XT for like $350ish with the kit lens. Very good starter camera.

I feel that starting with a DSLR will motivate more than just a point and shoot. Everyone has a point and shoot. Photographers have DSLRs.

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Photographers have DSLRs.
I'm actually looking to get a P&S. Been reading the reviews of the Canon G10. I would like be able to not have to lug my dSLR aound. But then, I'm not so much of a photographer..... more like a guy that likes to take a photograph...... obsessively.

itsanaddiction

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Canon Powershots are amazing. I have the SD 750 (I think). I love it! But when I wanted to get into photography, I had a manual camera placed in my hands. I was 12 then. I went to pawn shops to look for lenses and additional bodies as well as the classifieds. P&S will really only teach you composition b/c you have no control over the camera. You can't learn DOF...I really think if you parents buy her a P&S you could maybe buy or suggest a basic manual. Canon AE 1, Pentax ME, ME Super, K 1000. Those are all amazing!

OP
frasierfanatic

frasierfanatic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
thanks for all the comments! Looks like Canon is the winner!

Most reactions

ClickASnap